1102 West Main Street
Built, between 1877-1889
- Stone Yard
619 East Canal
A fine place to get your grub on.
Peter Copland, quarryman and stonemason and contractor for monumental work and stone cutting, has yards at Seventh and Canal streets, supplied with cranes, etc., and all the necessary mechanical facilities for the business, into which yards the tracks of the Chesapeake and Ohio Railroad runs. He has lately purchased also a tract of land on the Richmond, Fredericksburg and Potomac Railroad, three and a half miles from the city, upon which he will shortly open a quarry that contains an inexhaustible supply of the finest granite.
Mr. Copland began business here in this line in 1830 as a member of the firm of Mitchell & Copland, and when Mr. Mitchell died about two years ago, he succeeded to the entire business. He employs about forty hands and does business not merely in this State, but in all parts of the South. He is a shipper also of brownstone and other materials to the West.
Among other jobs of construction executed by him here the following may be mentioned: The new Masonic Temple; the First street viaduct, extending to Barton Heights; the granite work on the Lombardy School; the stone work on Mr. W. L. Royall’s house; on Major Dooley’s fine residence in the Western suburbs of the city; and on Clay Ward market.
Mr. Copland is ready to estimate on or undertake any sort of work, in his line, to be done anywhere in this country, or to furnish material from his own quarries of these parts. He lives in the substantial residence shown in the halftone cut on page 111 of this work.
Times change and West Main Street transitioned from being a residential district to a business one, smack in the middle of VCU country. Today the former house is now The Pit and the Peel, right next door to Piccola’s.
City of Richmond says that 1102 West Main was built 1900, but that surely can’t be, since its picture appears in the 1893 edition of Richmond, Virginia: The City on the James. It’s not on the 1877 Beers maps but shows up by 1889 on the Baist maps, built some time in that 12-year span.
(Peter Copland House is part of the Atlas RVA! Project)
- [CDRVA] Chataigne’s Directory of Richmond, Va. J. H. Chataigne. 1892.
- [RVCJ93] Richmond, Virginia: The City on the James: The Book of Its Chamber of Commerce and Principal Business Interests. G. W. Engelhardt. 1893.
Must-See RVA! is a regular series
appearing on rocket werks – check it out!