AKA, Home Brewing Company, Inc.
1201-1211 West Clay Street (Brewery)
1125 West Clay Street (Office)
September 2019 — 1202 West Clay Street looking east
A brewer that began at Anheuser-Busch.
The Peter Stumpf Brewing Company, successors to the Richmond Brewing Company since July 1, 1892, owns and operates the new “Home” Brewery, situated at the corner of Harrison and Clay streets.
This brewery has an authorized capital stock of $200,000. Its buildings cost, with their complement of machinery, $150,000. Its premises cover a square and a half, with buildings for its brew house, malt house, bottling department, office building, stables, cooperage and cold-storage departments.
It is equipped with the latest machinery known to the business, including a refrigerating apparatus of the C. F. Ott patent. Its malt house has a capacity of 5,000 bushels.
The directors of this company are: Peter Stumpf, president; John D. Doyle, vice-president; Joseph Stumpf, secretary and treasurer; Ernest Meyer and George C. Guvernator.
Messrs. Meyer, Doyle and Guvernator established the business here. These gentlemen were induced to venture upon this enterprise by reason of the demand for beer of home manufacture. Mr. Peter Stumpf and Joseph Stumpf, his brother, are both experienced in the business.
Before this venture of theirs they represented the Anheuser-Busch Brewing Association here for a number of years. Mr. Guvernator was formerly in the furniture business. He is proprietor of a hotel at Atlantic City. Mr. Doyle is also a hotel keeper of Atlantic City. Mr. Meyer is an experienced German brewmaster, long engaged in the business in the city of Philadelphia.
Although so recently established, this company has already developed a trade in the city and State up to its full capacity and production. Its leading brands, “Home Beer” and “Weiner Export,” are general favorites and are equal in strength and purity to any in the market. [RVCJ93]
Stumpf was born in Offenbach, Germany and emigrated to New York in 1869 at the age of 18. He quickly broke into the brewing trade, and by 1886 he had relocated to Richmond, where he made suds for the Anheuser-Busch Brewing Association.
By 1892 he broke out on his own and moved his operation to West Clay Street, where he was successful enough that he developed franchises in Petersburg, Newport News, and Phoebus. He also owned or controlled a number of saloons here in Richmond which were “tied” bars, establishments that sold only the parent company’s product.
He retired from the business in 1897 at the unusually young age of 46, a year after marrying his wife, Hermine Morganstern. Perhaps it was for health reasons or maybe he was simply wealthy enough that he could afford not working. Either way, it didn’t last, and he died in 1903 at the age of 52. (Find A Grave)
(Peter Stumpf Brewing Company is part of the Atlas RVA! Project)
- [IOR] Industries of Richmond. James P. Wood. 1886.
- [RVCJ93] Richmond, Virginia: The City on the James: The Book of Its Chamber of Commerce and Principal Business Interests. G. W. Engelhardt. 1893.
Must-See RVA! is a regular series
appearing on rocket werks – check it out!
Photos: Vindicatrix Takes Flight
Vindicatrix sat atop the column at the Jefferson Davis Monument. On Wednesday afternoon she came and other symbols of the Confederacy came down.
Vindicatrix sat atop the column at the Jefferson Davis Monument. On Wednesday afternoon she came and other symbols of the Confederacy came down. The history of the statue was the subject of a recent Richmond Magazine article.
Photos: Confederate Soldiers and Sailors Monument Marches Off Church Hill
Church Hill was the latest area to have a Confederate Monument removed.
This angry dog-walker was not happy with the proceedings and attempted to take down the barriers. He left after removing a couple and a brief argument from some of the crowd.
Richmond Then and Now: 114 E. Broad Street
A then and now snapshot of Richmond.
Original Image from Souvenir views: Negro enterprises & residences, Richmond, Va.
Created / Published[Richmond, D. A. Ferguson, 1907]