Common Name: Red Fox
Scientific Name: Vulpes vulpes
Body Length: 18–35 in
Tail Length: 11.8–21.9 in
Weight: 6-30 pounds
Quick Facts (Courtesy of Maymont Fox Page)
- Red foxes can come in a variety of colors including black and a light blonde color. They are still red foxes, though, it is just a variation in their coat color.
- Foxes have a really strong smell that some may mistake for a skunk. This is one reason why they do not make great pets!
- Foxes have over 28 different vocalizations and individuals have their own unique calls.
- Red foxes can live up to 15 years in a zoological setting, their lifespan in the wild is substantially shorter at about three years.
- They are very agile, being capable of jumping over 2-metre-high (6 ft 7 in) fences, and swim well.
Lab Coat at Richmond SPCA
Age: 2 years, 10 months
Gender: Spayed Female
Color: Black / White
Size: M (dog size guide)
Hey pals! My name is Lab Coat and I am the bestest girl in the whole world. OK, that may be more of my opinion than actual fact, but I can back it up! I already know how to sit when asked, so I would say that’s a pretty good example!
Will you help support independent, local journalism?
We need your help. RVAHub is a small, independent publication, and we depend on our readers to help us provide a vital community service. If you enjoy our content, would you consider a donation as small as $5? We would be immensely grateful! Interested in advertising your business, organization, or event? Get the details here.