What you need to know before you go.
- M&T Bank Butterflies Live runs from April 16th to October 10th and admission is included with your Lewis Ginter Garden Admission, $8 – $17 non-members, free for members.
- The exhibit is open 9 am to 5 pm daily with extended hours on Wednesday Alfresco which runs May 18th – September
- The butterflies are located in the North Wing of the Conservatory (the big glass building) and you’ll be able to walk amongst them as they feed on plants and at feeding stations.
- There will be hundreds of butterflies in the Conservatory with a focus on the tropical species but if you know your butterflies you’ll see some natives flitting about.
- Twice daily, once in the morning and once in the afternoon, new butterflies are released.
- You’ll want to go more than once. The butterflies you see in April will be different from what you’ll see in May and July.
- If you want to see butterflies flying head over on a sunny day. If you want to see butterflies being a bit more chill and resting then a cloudy day is for you. I speak from experience trying to get a picture of a butterfly flying is very hard. Even on a sunny day, they will often land on branches, flowers, feeding stations, and even humans.
- Don’t try to touch the butterflies. While it’s a myth that a single touch of the wing can prevent a butterfly from flying it’s still not good for them and you wouldn’t want an accident.
- Watch your step and of course your children’s step. The butterflies will land on the ground to drink water and rest. The foot of even the smallest child would crush a butterfly.
Apologies in advance for not getting the names of all the butterflies you’ll see in this post.
The Emergence Room where all the butterflies emerge from their chrysalises is off-limits to the general public but we were lucky enough to get an invite and see where the butterflies transform.
Will you help support independent, local journalism?
We need your help. RVAHub is a small, independent publication, and we depend on our readers to help us provide a vital community service. If you enjoy our content, would you consider a donation as small as $5? We would be immensely grateful! Interested in advertising your business, organization, or event? Get the details here.