The 36th annual Dominion Energy Christmas Parade will take place on Saturday, December 7th, at 10 AM. This beloved Richmond tradition attracts more than 100,000 spectators each year from everywhere in Virginia, with thousands more enjoying the live television broadcast on WTVR-CBS6.
There are over a hundred groups participating including of course the fat man himself, Santa.
- Parking – Side streets are your friend. We’ve always had good luck near the Richmond Public Library. There are parking decks near VCU on Harrison and Broad or near Lombardy.
- Warmth – The forecast is for temperatures in the 30’s. Blankets can be a lifesaver while waiting for the parade. Keep a special eye on the little ones and make them wear their mittens. Bring a thermos of hot cocoa, there are often vendors selling some but what you bring will be better and ready at a whine’s notice. On the plus side, it’s supposed to remain dry.
- Timing – There is a tricky balance between getting their early enough to get a nice spot and not having to wait for hours staring at an empty street. The parade doesn’t leave the Science Museum until 10:15 AM, so if you’re towards the end of the route don’t show up at 9 because you’ll have a long wait.
- Manners – It’s a major faux pas to stand in front of someone that is sitting down. Don’t do it.
- Safety – Little ones get excited. Make sure they don’t get so excited that they step out on to the parade route.
- Good Cheer – Depending on where you go there could be sizable crowds and with large crowds sometimes comes minor issues. Don’t get mad if a toe is stepped on, a shoulder bumped, or when living there are some questionable driving decisions. Smile and move on, don’t forget Santa is watching.
- Lunch – Grab some lunch from a local business after the parade. Everyone will be hungry and a little tired after the parade so refueling before hitting the road is a great idea. From past experience some restaurants get swamped consider trying a new spot or walk a little further off the route.
Related to the parade route are these road closures:
- 6 a.m.-1 p.m. Broad Street, both East and Westbound close from Davis to Strawberry.
- 7 a.m.-1 p.m. Leigh Street from Boulevard to Hermitage.
- 7 a.m.-1 p.m. DMV Drive from Leigh to Broad.
- 9 a.m.-1 p.m. West Bound Broad Street closes from Robinson to 8th.
- 9 a.m.-2 p.m. 7th Street from Broad to Jackson.