The Kickers’ season hasn’t been over for very long and already the off-season is full of news. The biggest news, of course, was that the team didn’t pick-up Head Coach David Bulow’s contract. Word from the team is that the new coach search is going well. I wouldn’t expect any announcement until the Championship League (one above the Kickers) is fully wrapped up as there might be some quality coaches looking for a job.
The second biggest news was released today. The Kickers announced 12 players that will form the core of next year’s team. There were no surprises with the possible exception of local connected Eli Lockaby and Joe Rice being left off. This doesn’t mean they won’t be in red next year it just means that as of today they’re not signed up. Arguably the biggest hole that needs to be filled for the Kickers is that of striker. The Kickers had trouble throughout the year in finding the back of the net and that definitely needs to be addressed.
Full Announcement from the Kickers:
The Richmond Kickers announced the initial updates to the roster ahead of the 2020 USL League One Season. The club has exercised the contracts of nine players from the 2019 roster. With three players currently under contract, the 2020 roster currently stands at 12 players.
“I am excited about the quality of players returning for the 2020 season,” said Interim Head Coach Mika Elovaara. “Bringing back the defensive core that helped us keep 10 clean sheets, combined with our leading scorer and assists leader makes for a strong foundation to build on. Overall, we feel that the 2020 roster is starting to shape up very nicely.”
Already on contract for the 2020 season, the Kickers will see forward Joe Gallardo, midfielder Ryley Kraft and defender Scott Thomsen return to City Stadium.
The club has exercised the options for goalkeeper Akira Fitzgerald, defenders Wahab Ackwei, Ivan Magalhães, Conor Shanosky, midfielders Amass Amankona, Greg Boehme, Matt Bolduc, Mutaya Mwape and forward Charles Boateng.
More announcements will be coming soon regarding the head coach and more roster additions ahead of the 2020 season.
The current Richmond Kickers roster ahead of the 2020 USL League One season, listed by position alphabetically, is below:
Goalkeepers (1): Akira Fitzgerald
Defenders (4): Wahab Ackwei, Ivan Magalhães, Conor Shanosky, Scott Thomsen
Midfielders (5): Amass Amankona, Greg Boehme, Matt Bolduc, Ryley Kraft, Mutaya Mwape
Forwards (2): Charles Boateng, Joe Gallardo
James River Park System Update from Bryce Wilk, Superintendent
Through June 30, 2020: 1,076,873 James River Park has had visitors. The same date in 2019: 975,433 visitors. The current staff devoted to James River Park is 5.
The James River Park is getting heavy use but that’s not all that’s going on in the park. Here’s what Bryce Wilk, Superintendent has to say.
- The JRPS is seeing visitors at a higher rate than any other year ever! Through June 30, 2020: 1,076,873 visitors. Same date in 2019: 975,433 visitors. This despite all the restrictions in place during the stay at home orders due to Covid 19 this past spring and early summer. Close to a quarter million visitors in the month of June alone.
- JRPS staff and local paddling groups installed new Dam Hazard Signs and Buoys between Huguenot Flatwater and Z-Dam to better warn people of the dangers of Z-Dam and the river.
- JRPS hired parking attendants to ticket all illegally parked vehicles at Pony Pasture Rapids Park on weekends and holidays.
- During the closure of public facilities, JRPS took the opportunity to upgrade the bathroom at Pony Pasture with new flooring and paint.
- JRPS added parking lines in the parking lot to help guide and organize vehicle parking.
- Currently we only have 5 full time staff members dedicated solely to the James River Park System, James River Park System relies on volunteers to keep this park beautiful.
- JRPS is providing volunteer opportunities for river clean ups at Pony Pasture specifically through https://www.handsonrva.org/.
- If people are interested in volunteering on their own or have any questions, Volunteer Coordinator, Matthew Mason can provide resources and equipment. His email is [email protected]
- Please visit https://jamesriverpark.org/ and http://www.richmondgov.com/parks/ for the latest updates and safety information about the James River Park System and Richmond’s Parks, Recreation, and Community Facilities.
Suspects Sought in Commercial Burglary on Jahnke Road
At approximately 6:30 a.m. on Friday, June 19, an unknown male broke into the Shell Gas Station in the 6200 block of Jahnke Road.
Richmond Police detectives are asking for the public’s help to identify the individuals in the attached photos who are suspects in a commercial burglary that last month.
At approximately 6:30 a.m. on Friday, June 19, an unknown male broke into the Shell Gas Station in the 6200 block of Jahnke Road. Security footage shows two suspects driving a van and parking near the side of the building.
One male broke a window to gain access into the business and stole several cartons of cigarettes and lottery tickets. The suspects then fled. Damage to the van is pictured and circled in red.
Anyone with information is asked to call Third Precinct Detective H. Truong at (804) 646-1067 or contact Crime Stoppers at (804) 780-1000 or at www.7801000.com. The P3 Tips Crime Stoppers app for smartphones may also be used. All Crime Stoppers methods are anonymous.
Little Nickel and Crossroads “Should” Reopen Next Week
Not back to normal but a step in that direction.
Two neighborhood favorites are set to come out of Covid-19 hibernation.
Little Nickel made this announcement on Facebook along with the slick looking deck addition you see above.
we’re almost back and this time with a bit of outdoor seating! ~ we’ll be making an announcement on monday about our opening date ~ we’ve missed everyone and can’t wait to reopen our tropical paradise safely, thank you so much for your support throughout this process ~
A little birdie told me that the announcement on Monday will be a Wednesday opening. Little birdies are known to be wrong but I trust this one.
Crossroads is not as precise. They’re planning for mid-July. Work is going on to complete a couple projects. Once those wrap up they’ll be pivoting to take out only for a bit.
Next week is mid-July so I’m hopeful that our favorite little coffee shop will be back in action.