Where Spotted: Wetlands & Buttermilk Trail near Nickel Bridge
Common Name: Woodland Box Turtle
Scientific Name: Terrapene carolina carolina
Length: 4.5 – 6 in. (11.5 – 15.2 cm)
Quick Facts (Virginia Herpetological Society)
- Woodland Box Turtles are omnivores, anything from fruit to salamanders.
- Another common name in Virginia is the dryland terrapin.
- An adult male with the date 1874 carved in its plastron was found in Rockingham County in August 1985 (Daily News Record, Harrisonburg), indicating an age of >111 years.
- The largest individuals in Virginia are from the southern Blue Ridge Mountains in Floyd County.
- Box turtles from Ohio can tolerate freezing of as much as 58% of their body water and remain frozen for as long as 3 days without injury.
Terry Crews at Richmond SPCA
Meet Terry Crews! This guy has a smile as big as his namesake. He loves belly scratches and laying on his back for nap time. He is always excited to play…just watch him run after a ball! If you think you could be the peanut butter to his jelly, come meet him at the Richmond SPCA today!
Age: 6 years, 2 months
Gender: Neutered Male
Color: Red / White
Size: XL (dog size guide)
Please note that the adoptable critter we’ve selected was available when we created the post the animal might not be available when you go to the facility.