For the 28th year the 43rd Street Festival of the Arts takes over a few blocks of Woodland Heights. To be percise you’ll find these artists on 43rd and Springhill Avenue. From street art to fine art, the 28th annual 43rd Street Festival of the Arts has something for everyone. Local and regional artisans show and sell their fine work. This is a juried RVA neighborhood art festival with music and food as well as a fundraiser for CARITAS.
It all kicks off on Saturday, September 14th, 2019. 10-5pm and is free to the public but they’ll be taking donations for Caritas.
The 43rd Street Festival of Arts Facebook page has some examples from the artists you can expect to find on Saturday include these awesome birdhouses by Clifford Earl and Ginger Reuling.
PREVIEW: Kickers vs Madison
This is the second attempt to host a home opener for the Richmond Kickers. This is also the only professional sports being played Richmond and perhaps the state.
Opponent: Forward Madison FC (0, 1, 1)
Date/Time: Saturday, Aug. 8th, – 6:30 PM
Last Result: Kickers 0 – Tormenta FC 0
Weather Forecast from Weatherbug.com:
Three Things to Kick About
- Goodbye Conor – Defesenive stalwart Conor Shanosky surprised the fans with announcement on Thursday that he and the Kickers have agreed to release him from his contract. One of the few Kickers veterans, a fan favorite, he’ll be missed. The Kicker wasted no time in replenishing their defense and signed Hassan Pinto out of Duke University. This is Hassan’s first pro-contract.
- Rest – The team’s official home opener was last week but was canceled due to Covid-19 concerns. Forward Madison played last week so in theory, the Kicker should be more rested. Hopefully, that rest translates into high pressure and mistakes by the visitors. Due to the schedule teams are allowed 5 subs this season so that rest mentioned above might not be as big of a factor as I hope.
- Who are we? – The Kickers have only played two games, none at home. We really don’t have a good idea on the identity of this team and new coach Darren Sawatzky. This game should give us a better idea but it certainly won’t give us the full picture.
- Bonus Round of Henny – Take the time to read this article about the special meaning behind this game and the Henny Cup. Get the Henny! Soccer and a Celebration of Black Culture
Forward Madison FC has nearly the same record as the Kickers. Both teams have only played 2 games, have lost one, tied one, and have a -1 goal differential. I’ve seen the Kickers play once on television and they looked tired and for the most part unthreatening as a result of having to play two games in four days. Most of the Kickers roster is new to me and to Forward Madison. I’m going strictly with the gut and know that the Kickers and Coach Sawatzky are desperate for a home win.
Kickers 2 Forward Madison 0
Official Kickers Match Preview
The Richmond Kickers (0-1-1) 2020 Home Opener, presented by Woodfin is this Saturday at 6:30 p.m. as they host league rivals Forward Madison FC (0-1-1). A limited number of single match tickets are available now at RichmondKickers.com/Tickets
. The match will air live on WTVR CBS 6.3 (Comcast 206, Verizon FiOS 466) and streaming on ESPN+.
The fourth edition of the already lively rivalry between the Kickers and the ‘Mingos sees both sides seeking their first wins after scrappy 0-1-1 starts to the abridged 2020 season. Better known as the Henny Derby as created by the black supporters of both clubs, bragging rights for the season are on the line with the League One Final as the only other opportunity for the teams to face each other this season.
Richmond closed out a two-match road trip last Tuesday night, earning their first point of the season in a 0-0 draw at South Georgia Tormenta FC. Akira Fitzgerald put up a man of the match performance with eight saves en route to the first clean sheet of the season — a performance later awarded with a Team of the Week nod from the USL. The Kickers came close on a couple of occasions from both Ryley Kraft and Emiliano Terzaghi that forced worldly saves from the Tormenta keeper. Now, the team is raring to open their City Stadium campaign after the original home opener on Aug. 1 against Fort Lauderdale CF was postponed to a later date.
Madison opened its season with a 2-1 loss at 2019 League One Champions North Texas SC. The FC Dallas-affiliated North Texas took an early 11th minute lead before Madison’s marquee 2020 offseason signing Wojciech Wojcik scored from close-range — a signature of the forward’s. However, North Texas would regain the lead thanks to the efforts of 2019 Golden Boot winner Ronaldo Damus who delivered the 2-1 lead that would hold until the final whistle. The following matchweek, Madison would find its first point of the season by holding current league-leaders Greenville Triumph SC to a 0-0 result. Madison was tenacious on defense as it clamped down on a Greenville team that enjoyed five goals in its opening two matches.
The Kickers continue a two match homestand next Saturday night as FC Tucson comes to City Stadium for a 6:30 p.m. kickoff. Tickets are on sale now at RichmondKickers.com/Tickets
WTVR CBS 6 Players to Watch
Richmond: Goalkeeper Akira Fitzgerald (#1) earned his first shutout of the 2020 season last Tuesday night against Tormenta FC behind eight saves, earning him a spot on the USL League One Team of the Week for Week 3. The veteran keeper is coming off a 2019 season that saw him named a finalist for the USL League One Goalkeeper of the Year after nine shutouts. Midfielder Ryley Kraft (#98) has put up a strong effort in the attacking third through the first two matches, including having one of his shots saved at Tormenta that looked to be goal bound. Kraft signed with the Kickers midway through the 2019 season and has been a regular in the lineup since making his debut. Defender Kyle Venter (#12) played his first match for Richmond against Tormenta, playing 54 minutes in his first action for the Kickers. Venter led all of the Kickers completing 86.2 percent of his passes.
Madison: Forward Wojciech Wojcik (#9) scored the lone goal for Madison this season in their season opening loss to 2019 champions North Texas SC. The Poland native signed for the club after 31 appearances for Hartford Athletic, scoring seven goals for the USL Championship side. Defender Connor Tobin (#13) returned to Madison for his second season with the club, playing 90 minutes in both of the opening matches. He joined Madison after five seasons with North Carolina FC, playing in 129 matches. Goalkeeper Philipp Marceta (#1) made his debut for Madison this season, earning his first shutout of the season in the last outing against Greenville. After an extensive career in Austria and Germany, Marceta joined the club after trialing with the Seattle Sounders during the MLS preseason.
Laura Lee’s is Now Open for Dine-in Service
Laura Lee’s has a plan to keep you, their employees safe and get you a great meal.
Great news from our friends at Laura Lee’s (3410 Semmes Avenue).
Laura Lee’s is now open for dine-in and take-out daily from 5-10 PM:
We offer a mix of outdoor seating and tables adjacent to our open garage door at the front of the dining room. Our online reservations system does not differentiate between the two – we will do our best to offer your preferred table at arrival, but there are no guarantees. If you would like to specifically reserve either an indoor table or an outdoor table, please call us at (804)233-9672.
Please note that all guests are required to wear a mask or face covering.RESERVATIONS https://lauraleesrva.com/reservations.php
Critters of the Week
A wild critter we spotted in the RVA area and a critter up for adoption by SPCA or RACC.
Where Spotted: Pony Pasture (very dead the bug not Pony Pasture)
Common Name: Cicada aka Get the Hell Out of My House Demon Bug
Scientific Name: Neotibicen canicularis aka Dog-day Cicada or a eotibicen davisi davisi aka Davis’ Southeastern Dog-Day Cicada
Length: 2 to 5 cm (1 to 2 in)
- Cicadas have been featured in literature since the time of Homer’s Iliad, and as motifs in art from the Chinese Shang dynasty. They have also been used in myth and folklore as symbols of carefree living and immortality.
- At least 3000 cicada species are distributed worldwide with the majority being in the tropics.
- Cicadas appear either annually (every year) or periodically (every 13 or 17 years) depending on the species.
- The timing of a 13- or 17-year cycle is one of the great mysteries of the insect world. Research and mathematical modeling suggest that the length of these brood cycles could be attributed to predatory avoidance.
- The “singing” of male cicadas is produced principally and in the majority of species using a special structure called a tymbal, a pair of which lies below each side of the anterior abdominal region.
Pollywog at Richmond SPCA
Pollywog is a big handsome boy with a lot of love to give to a new lucky family. Pollywog enjoys being the center of attention and getting tons of praise. Schedule a visit to meet Pollywog at the Richmond SPCA today to see what a special companion he is.
Age: 1 year,
Gender: Neutered Male
Color: Black / White
Size: XL (dog size guide)
To reduce visitor traffic, during the COVID-19 outbreak they are scheduling adoption appointments beginning Tuesday, March 17, 2020. Please leave your phone number in a voicemail or email and an adoption counselor will call to set an appointment for you to meet with a pet. Email the adoption center or call 804-521-1307.