Official Kickers Summary
The Richmond Kickers claimed a 5-0 victory in the first-ever meeting with Lionsbridge FC Tuesday night at Pomoco Stadium on the campus of Christopher Newport University.
Two minutes into the match, it was the Kickers who would strike first. A nifty backheel slotted through Joe Gallardo on the right wing. He whipped in a cross towards the back post, as Jannik Eckenrode lept to head the ball down. Trying to get control of the ball, a misplaced pass fell for Boehme in space, only needing to slide the ball past Jacob Reimers for the opener.
The Kickers doubled their lead in the 18th minute. Maxi Rodriguez played the ball long and over the top as Joe Gallardo made a run towards the Lionsbridge goal. The forward headed the ball down to himself to get control and found the back of the net to increase the Kickers lead to 2-0.
Jannik Eckenrode made it 3-0 for Richmond two minutes before the halftime whistle. Dennis Chin picked up control of the ball on the right wing after a long ball from Maxi Rodriguez. The Jamaican held up the ball long enough before laying it off for Eckenrode to put into the back of the net.
The Kickers found the back of the net for the fourth time in the 74th minute. Alexander Levengood played a quick pass to Daniel Jackson at the top of the Lionsbridge box. He only needed a touch to put it into the path of Charles Boateng. The Ghanian had the space to chip the keeper to make it 4-0.
Three different Richmond United academy players combined for the Kickers fifth goal of the night. Ethan Manheim sent the ball up the field for Key White. He quickly chipped the ball over a Lionsbridge defender for Alexander Levengood. The academy product made no mistake sneaking his shot inside the near post.
The Kickers return home to City Stadium this Saturday, July 13 at 7:00 p.m. to host North Texas SC. It’s Honoring Our Heroes Night when the party starts at 5:30 p.m. with drink specials for the first 30 minutes on craft beer on tap and wine, plus live music from the Shakedown. The players will come out for warm ups in limited edition pregame jerseys that will be auctioned off to benefit the Virginia War Memorial Foundation. Tickets are available now at RichmondKickers.com.
|TEAM||FIRST HALF||SECOND HALF||FINAL|
Richmond First Half: GK Joe Rice, Ivan Magalhães, Conor Shanosky, Wahab Ackwei, Eli Lockaby, Maxi Rodriguez, Jannik Eckenrode, Josh Hughes, Greg Boehme, Joe Gallardo (31’ – Dennis Chin), Mutaya Mwape (31’ – Lucas Mendes)
Second Half: Joe Rice (63’ – Matt Broomall), Ivan Magalhães, Ethan Manheim, Wahab Ackwei, Alex Ainscough, Braeden Troyer, Nick Retzlaff, Sam Moore, Alexander Levengood, Daniel Jackson, Charles Boateng (75’ – Key White)
|2′||RIC||Greg Boehme (unassisted)|
|18′||RIC||Joe Gallardo (Maxi Rodriguez)|
|43′||RIC||Jannik Eckenrode (Dennis Chin)|
|74′||RIC||Charles Boateng (Daniel Jackson)|
|83′||RIC||Alexander Levengood (Key White)|
Gird Your Loins it’s Time to Shiver in the River
The event isn’t limited to jumping in the James, there’s a clean-up, a 5K, music, beer, music and more.
The 6th Annual Shiver in the River 5k is hitting the James River this weekend, Saturday, February 29th at Tredegar. You can clean up, walk/run, or jump in the James River — or do all three. There is a lot going on and you can pick and choose what you’d like to do. All these events are to benefit Keep Virginia Beautiful.
It kicks off, picks off?, at 10:00 a.m. with a Community Cleanup along the banks of the James River.
A couple of hours later at noon the 5k walk/run runs a loop that starts and ends at Historic Tredegar, taking in the beauty of the James River.
The main event dips in at 1:30, The James River Leap. This fundraising Leap will take place along the chilly banks of the James near Historic Tredegar. A minimum of $75 must be raised to participate in the Leap and to receive a commemorative long-sleeve T-shirt. Must be 13 years or older to participate in the Leap.
Don’t feel like getting wet? Well, join your fellow sane folks at the Winter Festival from 11 AM to 4 PM for a free event that offers music, beverages, food, heated tents, and, more.
La Milpa Food Truck Stolen
If you see the food truck pictured please contact the police
Must-See RVA! — Bellgrade Plantation
A look into the history of Richmond places that are still part of our landscape.
- AKA Belvidere, Bellgrade, Alandale, Allandale, Ruth’s Chris Steak House
- 11500 West Huguenot Road
- Built, 1732, 1824
The centerpiece of one of Chesterfield’s most notorious murders. PG-13!
Belgrade, known in the late nineteenth century as “Belvidere” and renamed “Alandale” in the early part of this century, features an unusual plan and a unique medley of roof types. Situated off Robious Road southwest of Bon Air, the house occupies a large open tract surrounded by rapidly expanding residential and commercial development.
Originally a one- or 1 ½-story hall-parlor house, Belgrade was expanded to its present form in 1824. In that year, Edward Cox conveyed the property to Edward O. Friend, and assessed buildings rose in value from $482 to $1,939. This increase reflects a complete transformation of the original dwelling from a hall-parlor structure to a large dwelling composed of a two-story, side-passage-plan main block flanked by matching 1-story one-room-plan wings.
The hipped gambrel roof covering each of the two wings is unusual, and Belgrade provides the latest recorded example in Virginia of this rare roof type. Another unusual feature is the apparently original 1-story lean-to at the west end of the building. The primary purpose of this eight-foot wide unit appears to have been to house a stair (similar in form and coeval to that in the main block) permitting separate interior and exterior access to the upper chamber of the south wing.
The present interior trim, varying only slightly among the various rooms on both floors, dates entirely to ca. 1824. The mantel in the main block consists of a simple architrave surround capped by a molded shelf with punch-and-dentil band. The mantels in each of the wings are nearly identical, featuring a raised-panel surround capped by a molded shelf. Upstairs mantels date from the same period, and feature plain architrave surrounds with simple molded shelves.
Two coeval staircases serve the house; both are of closed-string, straight-run form with rectangular balusters, square newel with molded cap, and molded rail. The stair in the main block is of unusual configuration: it divides at a narrow landing against the rear wall, where short flights lead respectively to chambers over the main block and north wing. The stair in the lean-to, which makes a turn about three-quarters of the way up, barely allows headroom at the upper landing.
Originally, matching dependencies flanked the house. A one-story, two-room-plan frame kitchen with center chimney stood seventy feet to the south of the house, while an office of similar form stood at an equal distance from the north end of the dwelling. Both were in a deteriorated state in the 1920s and were demolished. The only surviving early outbuilding is a frame gable-roofed smokehouse standing a few yards southwest of the house.
The earliest traced owner of the property was Edward Cox, who in 1824 sold the house and 515 acres to Edward O. Friend for $5,000. Friend, the son of Joseph Friend and grandson of Edward Friend (d. 1806), lived there until his death in 1838, when the property passed to his widow, Matilda E. Burfoot Friend. She remarried and sold the farm two years later to Anthony T. Robiou, who lived there until his death in 1851.
Robious Crossing, where the new Richmond and Danville Railroad line intersected Huguenot Road, was named for the then-current owner of the farm. Robiou is best remembered in Chesterfield County history, however, as the man whose murder precipitated one of the most publicized court trials in nineteenth century Virginia.
The episode began when Robiou filed a divorce suit against his young wife (who was only fourteen at the time of her wedding) charging her with infidelity. [CCO]
Apparently, it wasn’t a “maybe-she-is” situation. Robiou caught them mid-schtupp, still cracking the plaster, and took offense.
John S. Wormley, the girl’s father, along with John Reid, her allegedly adulterous suitor, waylaid Robiou on the road to Black Heath Pits (today’s Robious Road) and gunned him down. [CCO]
Imagine Robiou’s last moments contemplating the unfairness of it all. “My wife Emily cheats on me and I get whacked for complaining?” ‘Course the Wormley family was old and established, so it must have been a matter of honor perhaps for (rightfully) slandering the family name. At least he has a street named for him.
Both men were taken into custody shortly thereafter, and Wormley, a prosperous planter and lawyer, was found guilty at a trial held at Chesterfield Court House in October, 1851. A mistrial was later declared, however, on the grounds that the jurors had been treated to drinks beforehand by the deputy sheriff and county clerk. [CCO]
*hic… innnoshent, yer Honor…
Over a year later, a jury summoned from Richmond and Petersburg because of the local notoriety of the case sentenced Wormley to death. A week later, a crowd of 4,000 persons watched the 42-year-old man hanged at Chesterfield Courthouse. Reid, meanwhile, had been tried and acquitted, and before the hanging married the young widow whose husband he had been accused of murdering. [CCO]
Of course, this all ends happily. Two weeks after her father’s hanging, Mrs. Emily Reid took a tumble down the front steps and perished. Poetic justice.
There are two accounts of how she died. One account is that she fell on a sewing basket and scissors punctured her heart. The other account is that she broke her neck. Since this tragedy, there have been hundreds of stories of sightings of the ghosts of Robiou and his young bride roaming the boxwood gardens behind the home. (Ruth’s Chris)
In 1851, the year of the first trial, Randolph Ammonett purchased the property from the trustees of Robiou’s estate for $2,025. Ammonett lived at Belgrade until his death in 1889. In his will, he directed that “an iron railing about 10 feet square be erected around the graves of myself and my deceased wife, J. J. Ammonett.” This fence still stands in the back yard, although there are no inscribed stones to identify the graves of either Amonett or his wife. [CCO]
Since then the place has been called Belvidere, Alandale, Allandale, and Bellgrade, the nom-de-plume that Ruth’s Chris prefers. Jeff O’Dell calls it Belgrade, and who are we to argue with an architectural historian?
Mary Wingfield Scott would not have approved with Ruth’s Chris’s alterations, but the steak house did end up preserving the original structure, so even if it isn’t on the historic registry, the spirit of the plantation house was preserved.
(Belgrade is part of the Atlas RVA! Project)
- [CCO] Chesterfield County, Early Architecture and Historic Sites Jeffrey M. O’Dell. 1983.
Must-See RVA! is a regular series
appearing on rocket werks – check it out!