Where Spotted: Reedy Creek and all over Richmond
Common Name: Eastern Tiger Swallowtail (could be Canadian Tiger Swallowtail)
Scientific Name: Papilio glaucus
Length: 5.5 centimetres (2.2 in)
Wingspan: 7.9 to 14 cm (3.1 to 5.5 in)
- Male Eastern Tiger Swallowtails are always yellow, while females may be yellow or black.
- The produce 2-3 broods a year in the deep South U.S. Its breeding range encompasses most of the United States and Canada.
- Their life span is about two weeks.
- Males participate in a behavior called puddling, in which they congregate on mud, damp gravel or puddles. They extract sodium ions and amino acids from these sources which aid in reproduction.
- Favorite nectar plants include honeysuckle, milkweeds, azaleas, thistles, and other urban flowers.
Primary Color: Blue Brindle
Weight: 64.2Sex: Female
Age: 6yrs 0mths 2wks
Pet ID: 80168