Richmond Public Schools are planning to change up where students attend school. This redistricting effort has its own webpage that you should bookmark as that is where all the major announcements will be posted.
The goals are straight forward, whether the process to get there is or not remains to be seen.
Redistricting Goals and Objectives:
- Engage the community by:
- Providing multiple authentic opportunities for all stakeholders to share their ideas and provide feedback
- Creating an advisory body of community representatives to help guide the process
- Engaging local historians and other community leaders
- Reviewing and leveraging past rezoning efforts
- Develop new zones for RPS schools that improve the student experience by:
- Ensuring safe, equitable, and more timely transportation; and leveraging natural boundaries when possible
- Increasing student diversity of all kinds within schools
- Alleviating overcrowding and minimizing, if not eliminating, the use of trailers
- Planning for future student population trends and future development
- Expediting student placement in modern facilities after rezoning through a variety of measures including new school construction, as well as potential consolidations and closures (revised)
- Develop a plan for the disposition of vacant and non-instructional (owned/rented) properties in an effort to:
- Raise funds for new school construction
- Develop mutually beneficial partnerships with Richmond cultural institutions
- Focus more time, energy, and money on our core work: teaching and learning
- Update the RPS Facilities Plan based on Goals 1, 2, and 3.
Below is the schedule.