Richmond Police Release Statement on Fatal Officer Involved Shooting

Richmond Police Release Statement on Fatal Officer Involved Shooting

Three people were stabbed by the time police arrived on the scene. All those stabbed are expected to survive.

Full Statement released 12/5/18:
The Richmond Police Department is investigating a fatal shooting that occurred this morning as officers were attempting to stop a knife-wielding man as he attacked a woman outside a house in the city’s Fan District.

At approximately 11:01 a.m., two RPD officers were called to the 2000 block of West Cary Street for a domestic incident described as a man with a knife.

The officers arrived and were directed to a house in the middle of the block. The entered and quickly moved through the house and out the back door where they encountered an adult male stabbing an adult female. A second victim, an adult male, was also present, bleeding from apparent stab wounds.

The officers ordered the attacker to drop the knife and stop the attack. He ignored those commands and continued to stab the woman. That’s when the officers discharged their weapons, striking him several times.

The man was transported to a local hospital where he was pronounced dead at 11:47 a.m. His name will be released tomorrow.

The two stabbing victims at the scene were also transported to a local hospital for treatment of their wounds. A third stabbing victim, an adult female, self-transported to a local hospital for treatment. All three victims are expected to survive.

Although the investigation is in its early stages, detectives believe the incident began several minutes earlier when the attacker attempted to force his way into the house. The woman and two others in the house fled to a convenience store half a block away. The man followed them into the store and forced the woman back up the sidewalk and into the house.

The Department’s Force Investigation Team (FIT) is investigating the circumstances surrounding the incident. They will interview the officers and other eyewitnesses, examine forensic evidence and review the body-worn camera videos. A report will then be submitted to the Commonwealth’s Attorney’s Office after a review by the Chief of Police.

The two officers have been placed on administrative leave. They will be identified after a Risk Assessment has been conducted. While both officers discharged their weapons, it is unknown at this time if one or both officers struck the attacker.

Anyone with information about this incident is asked to call Major Crimes Detective W. Thompson at (804) 646-3925 or they may contact Crime Stoppers at (804) 780-1000, www.7801000 or use the P3 app on a smartphone. A three Crime Stoppers methods are anonymous.”



About Richard Hayes 3503 Articles
Richard Hayes is the co-founder of RVAHub. When he isn't rounding up neighborhood news, he's likely watching soccer or chasing down the latest and greatest board game and/or beer.