RVA Legends — J. N. Cullingworth

RVA Legends — J. N. Cullingworth

A look into the history of Richmond places and people that have disappeared from our landscape.

[RVCJ03] — looking northwest toward 2508-2522 East Main Street

2508-2522 East Main Street
Built, circa 1870
Demolished, unknown

A self-made man from YooVeeA.

(LOC) — Sanborn Fire Insurance Map from Richmond (1905) — Plate 47

J. N. Cullingworth, tobacco manufacturer of 2508 to 2522 East Main Street, began in the business as an employee in 1870, and by intelligent application to it he has built up one of the largest establishments of the city. He is the sole proprietor now of a factory employing 250 hands, having capacity to produce 2,000,000 pounds and sales of 1,250,000 to 1,500,000 pounds a year.

(Amazon)

His specialties are twist, light pressed and other prevailing styles of plug, and his output is largely exported. He has, however, an excellent trade in Pennsylvania and other Eastern States and California. His leading brands are the “King Phillip,” “Man’s Companion,” “Bright Mars,” and “Trumps Long Cut”. ” This “Trumps” brand is fast becoming the standard goods of the East. He manufactures also private brands for the trade to order.

[RVCJ03] — Joseph N. Cullingworth

Mr. Cullingworth is a native of the city, a graduate of the University of Virginia, has been a journalist, and is conspicuous for his activity in church work, especially that of the First Presbyterian congregation. He is a director of the Manchester Paper Twine Company, and a member of the Chamber of Commerce. [RVCJ93]

(Encyclopedia Virginia) — Richmond Howitzers Knapsack

Like many Richmond businessmen of this era, J. N. Cullingworth served in the Confederate forces, first as a Private in 1st Company, Richmond Howitzers Virginia Light Artillery, and later as a Lieutenant in Haskell’s Battalion, C.S. Artillery. By the end of the war, he was part of Lee’s forces that made it to Appomattox, where he was paroled. (Find A Grave)

November 2018 — looking northwest toward 2508-2522 East Main Street

As to his former place of business, it’s unclear when the factory building came down, but today it’s a parking lot at the foot of Church Hill, home to a set of tasty food trucks.

(J. N. Cullingworth is part of the Atlas RVA Project)


Sources

  • [RVCJ93] Richmond, Virginia: The City on the James: The Book of Its Chamber of Commerce and Principal Business Interests. G. W. Engelhardt. 1893.
  • [RVCJ03] Richmond, Virginia: The City on the James: The Book of Its Chamber of Commerce and Principal Business Interests. G. W. Engelhardt. 1903.

rocket_werks

RVA Legends is a regular series
appearing on rocket werks – check it out!

Comments

comments

About Rocket Werks 189 Articles
Combining protean forces from the forbidden Zero Serum with the unbridled power of atomic fusion, to better probe the Wisdom of the Ancients and their Forgotten Culture.
Contact: Website