The start of school is just around the corner, and that means so is hurricane season. To ease the burden of getting ready for either catastrophic event, the Commonwealth of Virginia will be waiving the sales tax for certain items this weekend. A cart full of pencils and chainsaws would make for a few side glances in the checkout aisle, no?
What items are eligible?
- Qualified school supplies – $20 or less per item
- Qualified clothing and footwear – $100 or less per item
- Portable generators – $1,000 or less per item
- Gas-powered chainsaws – $350 or less per item
- Chainsaw accessories – $60 or less per item
- Other specified hurricane preparedness items – $60 or less per item
- Qualifying Energy Star™ or WaterSense™ products purchased for noncommercial home or personal use – $2,500 or less per item
If you’re not sure a school item qualifies for the tax exemption check out this list from the Virginia Tax website.
To find out what your kid needs because you lost that list click the links below. In the case of Chesterfield and Henrico, you’ll need to find the specific school for your child. Additionally, some Richmond schools might have extra items that are required.
Area school supply lists:
- Richmond Public Schools
- Chesterfield County Public Schools
- Henrico County Public Schools (put in your address, pick your school, list are on each school’s website)
Will you help support independent, local journalism?
We need your help. RVAHub is a small, independent publication, and we depend on our readers to help us provide a vital community service. If you enjoy our content, would you consider a donation as small as $5? We would be immensely grateful! Interested in advertising your business, organization, or event? Get the details here.