The Anthem Richmond Marathon is celebrating its 40th year of thousands hitting the streets. Our race is often cited as one of the “Best Fall Marathons,” which is what will happen when you work to be America’s friendliest marathon.
We here at RVAHub have never run a marathon, but we have run around and gathered a few links to help those of you running and watching. That deserves a medal, right?
All event information is now available at your fingertips with the ‘Run Richmond’ app that is available for download. The free app has everything the spectator and/or runner could need. Pull up the app. on your phone to find runner tracking, course maps, schedules, expo directions, spectator information, and other event details. The app is available for download for both iPhone and Android. If you’re more of the big screen kind of person we’ve got you covered as well.
- Official Race Guide (PDF)
- Official Anthem Richmond Marathon Website
- Run tracker to track of your loved one or nemesis. Choose between text messages, email alerts, or track through the app. It provides 6.2, 13.1, and 20-mile splits for marathoners, 10k splits for half marathoners, and finish results for all three races
- Results – Browse previous years and check out this year’s results once the race is over
- Last year’s photos – These are the official ones–little Google-fu and you’ll find lots more and here are the ones we took last year.
Let’s face facts. There are way more non-runners than there are runners in the Marathon. It’s only fair that those of us that don’t run, aka sane, should get in on the good times. The full list of official Party Zones is here but all of Monument Ave is a giant party and well worth checking out.
Another great area is Southside along Forest Hill Avenue between Westover Hills and Bland. This is roughly the halfway point, and you can swing by coffee shops Zata and Crossroads or jump on down to the South of the James Farmer’s Market. Be ready to deal with traffic issues due to road closures.
If you’ve got running to do or runners to watch, these maps will get you to the right spots.
- Marathon Course Map
- Half-Marathon Course Map
- 8k Course Map
- Combined Map of all 3 Courses
- Map of Start Area
- Map of Finish Festival
2017 Anthem Richmond Marathon event schedule
Thursday, November 9th
- 5 p.m. – 9 p.m. Pre-race Health and Fitness Expo, packet pick-up, and walk-up registration at the Arthur Ashe Center
- 7:00 p.m. Cutting of the 40th Running birthday cake provided by Whole Foods Market
- 11 a.m. – 9 p.m. Health and Fitness Expo, Packet pick-up and walk-up registration at the Arthur Ashe Center
- 11:30 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. Marathon Course Bus Tour (Reservation required)
- 1:30 p.m. Meet and greet and ‘Race Everything’ book signing with Bart Yasso of Runner’s World magazine
- 4:00 p.m. Cutting of the 40th Running birthday cake provided by Whole Foods Market
- 4:30 p.m. – 5:15 p.m. ‘All Things Richmond’ Q&A session at the Expo with Bart Yasso of Runner’s World, Marathon Training Team Head Coach Don Garber, and Richmond Marathon ‘Old Lions’
- 7:00 a.m. VCU Health 8k start
- 7:30 a.m. Markel Richmond Half Marathon start (Wave A) at 7th and Broad St.
- 7:45 a.m. Anthem Richmond Marathon start (All waves) at 5th and Grace St.
- 8 a.m. – 3 p.m. CoStar Post-Race Party at Brown’s Island and at the finish line (5th & Tredegar)
- 11:30 a.m. Half Marathon course closes
- 3:00 p.m. Marathon course closes