Three Things to Kickabout
- Offense where for art thou? – This will be on our list until it’s no longer a question. Another week and another long fruitless search for goals. Check that we are now search for goal, singular. Just one goal would an improvement of epic proportions.
- Streak – The last time the Kickers won a game was April 22nd. Yeah we posted this last time. It still stands. On the positive streak side the Kickers drew a crowd of over 6,000 so still on pace for a record breaking attendance year.
- New Blood – Early on Friday the Kickers announced that they had signed Franck Tayou. Tayou plays for the US Futsal National Team and was a standout in the Major Arena Soccer League. He’s a 6’2” forward that played with San Antonio FC for part of 2016 and made an immediate impact, tying the team leader with five goals in 17 appearances. In 13 matches the entire Kickers team has scored eight goals. Perhaps Franck can have an immediate impact.
I keep thinking things have to change and Richmond gets a win but the Kickers keep proving me foolish in my thoughts. Tampa Bay Rowdies 2 – Richmond Kickers 0.
Official Kickers Preview
The Richmond Kickers (2-7-4) host the Tampa Bay Rowdies (6-3-5) for their first-ever trip to City Stadium this Saturday. The party starts at 5:30 p.m. with the BBQ & Bluegrass Fest featuring BBQ from the Cultured Swine, live bluegrass music from the Cary Street Ramblers and over 15 craft beers on tap. The Kickers will take the field at 7:00 p.m. to take on the Rowdies. Tickets are on sale now at RichmondKickers.com.
Saturday’s match will be the Kickers second-ever meeting with the Rowdies. Tampa Bay hosted Richmond April 29, taking a 1-0 win over the Kickers. Deshorn Brown scored off a volley on a loose ball inside the Richmond box just before halftime to give the home team the goal and all three points in the first meeting between the two clubs.
The Kickers are coming off a narrow 0-1 road defeat to the Charleston Battery last Saturday, extending their winless streak to nine matches. Samuel Asante was called for a handball in the 24th minute inside the Richmond box. After a second attempt at the penalty, Justin Portillo buried his chance and gave the Battery the lead in the 26th minute, which ended up being the game winner. Richmond is 2-4-2 at City Stadium this season and looking to snap a three-match losing streak.
Tampa Bay is on a four-match winless streak after taking a 1-1 draw at home against the Rochester Rhinos last Saturday. Rochester scored first in the fifth minute to take an early lead. Marcel Schäfer found Joe Cole in the 19th minute for the Rowdies to level the score and take a point against the visiting Rhinos. The Rowdies are 1-3-3 on the road this season and without a win in their last two road trips.
Richmond will be back at City Stadium next Saturday, June 24 to host the Charlotte Independence at 7 p.m. along with the annual Summer Fest, presented by Stick’s Kabob Shop and Bounce 2 The Moon. The party starts at 5:30 pm with live music by The Hit List, a one-of-a-kind splash zone featuring a 40-foot slip ‘n slide and a 20-foot water slide, human foosball, soccer darts, inflatable games, RVA food trucks and over a dozen craft beers on tap. Tickets are available now at RichmondKickers.com.
PLAYERS TO WATCH
Richmond: Midfielder Paddy McCann (#16) made his return to the starting lineup after missing six weeks with a fractured right foot. McCann has six appearances, including five starts in 2017 after a successful tryout in January. Midfielder Raul Gonzalez (#27) has started in the last five matches, scoring his first professional goal at the Rochester Rhinos on May 21. The University of Memphis product signed with the Kickers shortly after the start of the 2017 season, after a four-year career at Memphis scoring and assisting on 13 goals respectively. Defender Conor Shanosky (#5) has made ten appearances, all starts, for the Kickers in 2017, scoring the first goal of the season for Richmond. Shanosky signed with the Kickers at the end of the 2016 season after one and a half seasons with Louisville City FC.
Tampa Bay: Midfielder Joe Cole (#26) brings experience to Tampa Bay after stints with West Ham United, Chelsea FC, Liverpool FC and the English National Team. Cole has four goals in 12 appearances this season, scoring in the team’s last match against the Rochester Rhinos. Midfielder Marcel Schäfer (#4) also brings in a wealth of international experience after spending time with VfL Wolfsburg and winning eight caps with the German National Team. Schäfer has one goal and two assists this season, including an assist on Joe Cole’s goal in their last match. Forward Deshorn Brown (#8) has three goals and one assist in 2017, one of which was the game winning goal when these two clubs met back on April 29 in Tampa. The sixth overall pick of the 2013 MLS SuperDraft spent three seasons with the Colorado Rapids, scoring 20 goals in 62 appearances before heading overseas.
BBQ & BLUEGRASS FEST – JUNE 17
Live music, BBQ, and Craft Beer on Tap at City Stadium
The party starts at 5:30pm with live bluegrass music by the Cary Street Ramblers and craft beer on tap for $22:
• Exclusive pre-game VIP party
• North Carolina Pulled Pork BBQ with coleslaw, Jamaican Jerk Chicken with pineapple pico, BBQ Portobello mushroom, signature curry potato salad and more by Cultured Swine
• Two craft beers* or sodas
• Admission to the Richmond Kickers vs Tampa Bay Rowdies game at 7:00 p.m.