Hardywood has announced a new yearlong music series to celebrate the best of Virginia agriculture and music. Their Virginia Roots beers highlight a single Virginia-grown product per release, and they’ve been paired alongside some shining talent from the commonwealth for the Discover Virginia Roots series.
To celebrate the release of four Virginia Roots beers, Hardywood will offer a sneak peek of each beer alongside a curated concert featuring a Virginia band covering an iconic musical artist.
The beers in the series include:
- Peach Tripel – Hardywood Peach Tripel is bright and effervescent, showcasing a delightful balance of fruity esters and spicy phenols that harmonize with subtle white pepper and honeysuckle notes. The Peach Tripel is refermented on apricots and heaps of yellow peaches from Silver Creek Orchard in Tyro, VA, delivering a luscious stone fruit character with a pleasantly dry finish.
- Virginia Blackberry – Hardywood Virginia Blackberry is brewed with a touch of rye and a massive addition of ripe blackberries from Agriberry Farm in Hanover County, Virginia. The Belgian-style White Ale is ruby-hued with a mild tartness, gentle body, and a refreshing fruit finish.
- Farmhouse Pumpkin – Hardywood Farmhouse Pumpkin is a Wallonian-style saison brewed with a classic saison yeast, Virginia-grown sugar pie pumpkins from Snake Creek Farms, whole nutmeg, clove, and allspice from C.F. Sauer, and fresh ginger root from Casselmonte Farms (Powhatan, VA). The farmhouse ale presents a delicate spice profile that compliments the saison yeast esters. Farmhouse Pumpkin is soft in mouthfeel with balanced, rustic fall flavors.
- Raspberry Stout – Hardywood Raspberry Stout is brewed with chocolate malt, cacao nibs, and late-season red raspberries from Agriberry Farm in Hanover, VA. The Raspberry Stout is a full-bodied, beguiling stout with notes of rich dark chocolate and raspberry jam.
The featured bands are all based in the Commonwealth and include:
- Suggesting Rhythm – Suggesting Rhythm is a six-piece band out of Richmond, VA, that recreates the music of The Grateful Dead with its own special charm and style. Founded in 2015, the group consists of members: Steve Barnard, Ed Bray, Noel Burton, Adam Drudge, David Oakley, and Jeff Rothman. Suggesting Rhythm has continued to bring the music of the Grateful Dead to the Richmond music scene and beyond, year after year.
- The Big Payback – The Big Payback is a musical powerhouse dedicated to recreating James Brown’s music as accurately and passionately as possible. No stone is left unturned! Their repertoire is filled with all the classic hits you know and love and tons of rarities and B sides.
- Black Janis – Sam Reed is the powerhouse vocalist for ubiquitous cover band Dance Candy, NoBS! Brass and a swarm of other popular Richmond bands. But her possibly better-than-the-original Janis Joplin cover band, Black Janis, might be the best of the bunch.
- Done Gone Feat – Featuring members of Jackass Flats, Done Gone Feat features some of Virginia’s most talented bluegrass musicians tackling one of the most criminally underrated and groovy bands in rock and roll history – Little Feat!
Season passes will be available for $40 and include a ticket to each show and a copy of the poster for the series. Poster art was done by local artist Harry Slater. Advance tickets for all shows will be $12, and day-of tickets will be $15. Full details can be found on the ticketing website.
BEER RELEASE DATE
Saturday, February 24
Thursday, February 22
Suggesting Rhythm Does The Grateful Dead
Saturday, May 25
Thursday, May 23
The Big Payback Does James Brown
Saturday, August 17
Friday, August 16
Black Janis Does Janis Joplin
Saturday, December 21
Thursday, December 19
Done Gone Feat Does Little Feat
Will you help support independent, local journalism?
We need your help. RVAHub is a small, independent publication, and we depend on our readers to help us provide a vital community service. If you enjoy our content, would you consider a donation as small as $5? We would be immensely grateful! Interested in advertising your business, organization, or event? Get the details here.