From the Reedy Creek Coalition
Please join us on Saturday, Feb. 3 for live staking along Crooked Branch, small stream in Crooked Branch Ravine Park. We will also be planting small shrubs nearby. Volunteers interested in live staking please read the info below. ***
Please RSVP below if you plan to attend. This will help us plan for the work day and also let you know if there is a change.
- Saturday, Feb. 3 from 1000-1200 a.m.
- Meet at the end of Northrop Street Map to site
- *** Live staking info…
- Live staking is the practice of planting dormant branches (cuttings) of native plant species to revegetate streambanks in an effort to stabilize the bank and reduce erosion. All plants are species native to this area.
- Volunteers will receive information on the basics of live staking and will be given a demonstration on how plant them. Volunteers will use mallets to hammer in live stakes along the bank of the creek.
- No training, qualifications or specific skills are needed. Planting live stakes is physically demanding and this will often require getting into the shallow stream; you will need to bring boots.
- Tools are provided. Please bring gloves if you can.
- Volunteers will need to sign a waiver before participating. Those who are 18 and older may sign when they arrive. Those younger than 18 must have a parent or guardian sign the form; either bring the form or e-mail to [email protected] Volunteer Waiver
Will you help support independent, local journalism?
We need your help. RVAHub is a small, independent publication, and we depend on our readers to help us provide a vital community service. If you enjoy our content, would you consider a donation as small as $5? We would be immensely grateful! Interested in advertising your business, organization, or event? Get the details here.