Today, the Richmond Region Tourism Foundation and its partners announced the finalists for the 3rd annual RVA Sports Awards, an event to honor athletes, coaches, and groups working to better the region through sports.
Public voting will take place online until January 15th. Winners will be recognized at the RVA Sports Awards on February 3rd at the Altria Theater.
The regionwide celebration is presented by Colonial Downs® & Rosie’s Gaming Emporium®. Event tickets are now on sale.
Finalists for the RVA Sports Awards include:
Female Athlete of the Year, presented by Kings Dominion
- Addie Budnik – University of Richmond Women’s Basketball
- Britton Wilson – University of Arkansas Track and Field (Godwin graduate)
- Gurún Karítas Hallgrímsdóttir – Virginia Commonwealth University Track and Field
- Rilee Baughan – Randolph-Macon College Softball
Male Athlete of the Year, presented by Colonial Downs & Rosie’s Gaming Emporium
- Ace Baldwin Jr. – Virginia Commonwealth University Basketball
- Miles Mallory – Randolph-Macon College Basketball
- Tristan Wheeler – University of Richmond Football
- Willie Drew – Virginia State University Football
Team of the Year, presented by Synergy Technical
- Randolph-Macon College Softball
- Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Virginia Union University Football
Coach of the Year, presented by Brown Distributing Company
- Andy Steuart – Patrick Henry High School Boys’ Volleyball
- Anne Harrington – University of Richmond Women’s lacrosse
- Cheryl Groce-Wright – Sports Backers Marathon Training
- Dennis Pelfrey – Richmond Flying Squirrels Manager
- Pedro Arruza – Randolph-Macon College Football
Moment of the Year, presented by Virginia Is For Lovers
- Josh Parker – Collegiate High School Soccer (State Championship winning goal)
- Midlothian High School Baseball – (Catcher consoles pitcher after giving up the walk-off hit in Regional Final)
- Virginia Commonwealth University Wins A-10 Men’s Basketball Championship
Youth Athlete of the Year, presented by Techno Branded SWAG
- Eli Cramer – Cosby High School
- Isaac Lamprecht – New Kent High School
- Julia Mann – Godwin High School
- Lanie Grant – James River High School
- Tony Allen Jr. – Armstrong High School
Youth Team of the Year
- Armstrong High School Football
- Hanover High School Baseball
- John Marshall High School Boys’ Basketball
- Richmond United U17 Soccer
Event Impact of the Year presented by Virginia Sports Hall of Fame
- Dominion Energy Riverrock
- Jefferson Cup Soccer
- Richmond Raceway/Bubba’s Block Party
- Tri-Cities Chili Peppers Baseball – Faulkner Foundation
“We’ve enjoyed seeing so many nominations come in over the past months and are thankful for all the community members that help make this event successful each year,” said Danielle Fitz-Hugh, vice president of community relations with Richmond Region Tourism. “Sports bring our communities together and help inspire lasting memories and friendships while also boosting our local economy by bringing new visitors and athletes to the region.”
Proceeds from the RVA Sports Awards support the Richmond Region Tourism Foundation’s Sports Tourism Grant initiative, a program that distributes grants to local sports organizations to develop new events and expand existing events to attract new visitors to the region.
The Foundation is a 501(c)(3) and the philanthropic arm of Richmond Region Tourism, which works to advance the impact and benefit of tourism on the Richmond Region by supporting and investing in local education, diversity and inclusion, and sports tourism programs.
The event will also fund a scholarship program to support two annual scholarships for students at Virginia State University’s Sports and Hospitality Management Program and in the Center for Sport Leadership at Virginia Commonwealth University.
The RVA Sports Awards will be live on CBS6 on February 3rd from 7:30 to 9:00 p.m.
For more information on tickets and sponsorships, visit www.RVASportsAwards.com.
Will you help support independent, local journalism?
We need your help. RVAHub is a small, independent publication, and we depend on our readers to help us provide a vital community service. If you enjoy our content, would you consider a donation as small as $5? We would be immensely grateful! Interested in advertising your business, organization, or event? Get the details here.