Score: McNeese State 76, VCU 65
Location: Richmond, Va. (Stuart C. Siegel Center)
Attendance: 7,637 (Sellout)
Records: VCU 0-1, McNeese State 1-0
The short story: Senior guard Max Shulga poured in a team-high 22 points for VCU, but it wasn’t enough to hold off upstart McNeese State Monday in the season-opener for both clubs.
- Shulga connected on 6-of-10 three-pointers in the contest. He added four assists
- Senior guard Zeb Jackson supplied 14 points, a career-high eight assists and seven rebounds for the Black and Gold
- Redshirt freshman guard Fats Billups III buried 3-of-6 from beyond the 3-point arc and finished with nine points for the Rams, while freshman forward Michael Belle contributed seven points, four rebounds, two assists and two blocks in his collegiate debut
- Shahada Wells led the Cowboys in scoring with 23
- McNeese State shot .458 (27-of-59) from the field, including .471 (8-of-17) from 3-point range
- The Cowboys turned the ball over just five times in the game
- VCU shot .306 (11-of-36) from beyond the arc
- MSU outscored VCU 36-22 in the paint and 13-6 off turnovers
- Shulga’s performance was the third 20-point effort of his career
- Monday’s crowd was the Rams seventh straight sellout
- VCU blocked nine shots in the game
VCU will play host to Samford on Friday, Nov. 10 at 7 p.m. at the Stuart C. Siegel Center. That game will be broadcast live on MASN and ESPN+.
Will you help support independent, local journalism?
We need your help. RVAHub is a small, independent publication, and we depend on our readers to help us provide a vital community service. If you enjoy our content, would you consider a donation as small as $5? We would be immensely grateful! Interested in advertising your business, organization, or event? Get the details here.