Score: VCU 110, Mars Hill 50
Location: Richmond, Va. (Stuart C. Siegel Center)
The short story: Seven Rams scored in double figures and VCU buried 15 three-pointers on the way to a 60-point throttling of Mars Hill in an exhibition contest Saturday at the Siegel Center.
- Senior guard Zeb Jackson led the way with a 20-point, 10-assist double-double. He hit 5-of-10 treys and added six rebounds and a pair of steals
- Redshirt sophomore Jason Nelson led all players in points with 21 points and connected on 5-of-8 from beyond the 3-point arc. He added five assists
- Sophomore forward Tobi Lawal threw down an array of alley-oop dunks and finished with 13 points off the bench for the Black and Gold
- Redshirt freshman wing Fat Billups III added 15 points, while junior forward Roosevelt Wheeler dunked home 14 points on 7-of-7 shooting
- Kayden Dawkins led Mars Hill with 15 points
- VCU shot .615 (40-of-65) from the field, including .429 (15-of-35) from the 3-point line. Mars Hill shot just .255 (14-of-55) from the field, including
- The Rams scored 50 points in the paint and owned a 15-0 scoring advantage on fast breaks
- VCU assisted on 78 percent of its made baskets, ringing up 31 assists along the way
- The Black and Gold outrebounded the Lions 47-26
VCU will officially kick off the regular season against McNeese State on Monday, Nov. 6 at 7 p.m. at the Stuart C. Siegel Center.
Will you help support independent, local journalism?
We need your help. RVAHub is a small, independent publication, and we depend on our readers to help us provide a vital community service. If you enjoy our content, would you consider a donation as small as $5? We would be immensely grateful! Interested in advertising your business, organization, or event? Get the details here.