Score: Old Dominion 2, VCU 0
Location: Richmond, Va. (SportsBackers Stadium)
Records: VCU 1-2-0, ODU 3-0-0
The short story: VCU kept the pressure on all evening and outshot reigning Sun Belt Champion Old Dominion, but the Rams were unable to cash in on those chances in a 2-0 loss to the Lady Monarchs Thursday night at SportsBackers Stadium.
- The Rams dominated possession for long stretches and outshot ODU 15-9 in the contest. The Black and Gold held possession for nearly 60 percent of the game, and VCU attempted nine corners to Old Dominion’s two
- Senior Stevie Mika and sophomore Allison Karpovich split goalkeeping duties for VCU and each recorded a pair of saves in net
- Emily Bredeck registered a clean sheet with six saves for the Lady Monarchs
HOW IT HAPPENED
- ODU snapped a scoreless tie in the 37th minute when Thalia Morisi charged onto a loose rebound and found the back of the net with her right foot. The Lady Monarchs pushed out to a 2-0 advantage in the 67th minute when Rhea Kijowski converted a 1-on-1 chance from 12 yards out
- VCU had a number of opportunities in the match, but were unable to break through. Junior Kanna Matsuhisa found herself in a 1-on-1 situation in the fifth minute, but Bredeck was able to smother the blast from close range. Matsuhisa recorded four shots on the night, while sophomore Stella Castro got her foot on three tries for the Black and Gold
- Karpovich kept the Rams within a goal in the 49th minute when she made a one-handed, diving save to turn away ODU’s Anessa Arndt
VCU will return to the pitch on Sunday, Aug. 27 when the Rams meet former CAA rival William & Mary at 1 p.m. in Williamsburg, Va.
Will you help support independent, local journalism?
We need your help. RVAHub is a small, independent publication, and we depend on our readers to help us provide a vital community service. If you enjoy our content, would you consider a donation as small as $5? We would be immensely grateful! Interested in advertising your business, organization, or event? Get the details here.