Score: VCU 1, La Salle 0
Location: Richmond, Va. (Sports Backers Stadium)
Records: VCU 4-1-7 (2-0-2), La Salle 6-5-0 (1-3-0)
The short story: Junior forward Aisha Maughan scored the games lone goal on a penalty kick which pushed VCU past La Salle, 1-0
- Maughan’s goal was her second of the season
- Senior goalkeeper Whitney Horton four saves in her sixth shutout of the season
- The Rams shot the ball 16 times, six of them on goal compared to the Explorers eight shots, four on goal
- VCU had seven chances from the corner while La Salle had just one
- La Salle’s goalkeeper Michela Auguadro made five saves
HOW IT HAPPENED
- In the 24th minute, Maughan drove into the box and drew a foul. She lined up for the penalty kick and fired one past the keeper to give the Rams a 1-0 lead
- Maughan threatened to strike again in the 40th minute when she lined a shot up towards the bottom right corner of the net but La Salle’s Auguadro made the save
- Horton made a big stop as the half winded down in the 44th minute when La Salle’s Leah Giles forced a shot towards the bottom center of the net.
- La Salle’s Giles had another last minute big opportunity in the 89th minute when she forced Horton to make a save with her hands
VCU faces cross-town rival Richmond on the road on Sunday, Oct. 2, at 3 p.m. Fans can watch the action on ESPN+
Will you help support independent, local journalism?
We need your help. RVAHub is a small, independent publication, and we depend on our readers to help us provide a vital community service. If you enjoy our content, would you consider a donation as small as $5? We would be immensely grateful! Interested in advertising your business, organization, or event? Get the details here.