Score: VCU 1, UNCW 1
Location: Richmond, Va. (Sports Backers Stadium)
Records: VCU 0-1-2, UNCW 1-1-1
The short story: A goal in the 81st minute by senior midfielder Sophie Brophy tied the game as the Rams and Seahawks battled to a 1-1 draw.
- Brophy scored her first collegiate goal.
- VCU outshot UNCW 13-8. Both teams had five shots on goal.
- Sophomore forward Kanna Matsuhisa led the Rams with four shots. She added an assist on the Brophy goal.
- Senior goalkeeper Whitney Horton recorded four saves.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- VCU’s first shot on goal came in the 25th minute by graduate student defender Amber Diorio.
- The Rams chances continued soon after in the 28th minute with another shot on goal by junior forward Milicia Bulatovic, which led to a VCU corner kick.
- UNCW’s Madison Henry scored in the 46th minute of the match.
- The Rams first chance of the second half was a Diorio shot in the 65th minute.
- In the 81st minute, a Matsuhisa corner kick set up a Brophy header to tie the match.
The Rams take on the UNC Greensboro Spartans this Sunday at 6:30 p.m. at Sports Backers Stadium. Watch live on ESPN+.
Will you help support independent, local journalism?
We need your help. RVAHub is a small, independent publication, and we depend on our readers to help us provide a vital community service. If you enjoy our content, would you consider a donation as small as $5? We would be immensely grateful! Interested in advertising your business, organization, or event? Get the details here.