On the Radar
Kickers – The boys are home again and need the win to stay in the playoff hunt. They won last Sunday on the road and are hungry to get a second.
- City Stadium | 3201 Maplewood Ave | Gates Open 5 PM – KO 6:30 PM, Saturday, Aug. 28th | $9 – $18 | Tickets
Chesterfield County Fair – The 108th Annual Chesterfield County Fair kicks off on Friday with all the usual fair fun. Pig races, fried foods, rides, chainsaw carvings and live entertainment. Added bonus this year of three-ring circus, an illusionist and escape artist.
- Chesterfield County Fairgrounds | 10300 Courthouse Road | Aug. 27th – Sept. 9th | $5-$10 | Website
Crabs & Beer by the James – All YOU CAN EAT Crabs & Beer Festival on Brown’s Island. Food vendors all day . Music will performed LIVE by TESTIPHY and 6 DJS playing all day. RAIN OR SHINE! National and craft beer. (Heineken, Coors light, etc plus craft beer selections) CASH ONLY. I do give this recommendation with a caveat, I haven’t been and it sounds a little too good to be true. Attend at your own risk. Also about the pricing: $10 kids under 10, $45 gets you all you can eat crabs from 1-5 PM, General Admission $20 gets you on the island but no crabs.
- Brown’s Island | Brown’s Island | 1-6 PM Aug. 28th | $10-$45 | Tickets
Under the Radar
One Love Community Block Party – Southside doesn’t get the love it should. There are many folks working to make Manchester and other parts of Southside a great place to be. This is another example. Ajay Brewer of Brewer’s Cafe is helping to organize an evening for businesses, artists, entrepreneurs, musical artists, community leaders, & members of the greater Richmond area community to market themselves and have a wonderful time doing it. Live music, DJ, vendors, beer and food.
- In front of Brewer’s Cafe | 1125 Bainbridge Street | 4-10 PM, Saturday, Aug. 28th | Pay as you go | Event Page
Weekend Radar: Glow, Kickers, Costume Sale, Howl-o-ween Bash
It’s the weekend and it’s time do stuff that doesn’t involve work. Here is how we think you should spend your time.
On the Radar
Maymont Garden Glow – Each Wednesday-Sunday night, experience Maymont in a different light. At sunset, the Carriage House Lawn transforms into the Glow Village with food trucks, Glow Shop, fire pits and an expanded Glow Bar. Hike down the historic Woodland Trail to explore the iconic Japanese Garden and wander its dramatically illuminated paths. Maymont’s landscape will shine brilliantly for a wondrous experience to delight guests of all ages.
- Maymont | 1000 Westover Road | October 15-November 7, Times Vary | $7-$12 | Buy Tickets
Kickers – The Kickers are on the cusp of making the playoffs. A win on Saturday and they’re in. A few more wins and we’ll be watching a playoff game next month.
- City Stadium | 3201 Maplewood Ave | Gates Open 5 PM – KO 6:30 PM, Saturday, Oct. 15th | $9 – $18 | Tickets
Under the Radar
Host of Sparrows Costume Sale – Host of Sparrows Aerial Dance, Circus arts and entertainment is clearing out our costumes just in time for Halloween, but also some vintage in all departments , burly, fabric, masks, hats, gloves, hair & makeup stuff, notions, activewear shoes and boots, martial arts practice props, kids stuff, wigs, fire torches, and more! All sizes! For funsies we will also be flying in the air and welcome you to our yearly fundraiser for Host of Sparrows Aerial Circus. This is an outdoor event, and if rain happens we will move indoors to RVA Eventspace at the same address.
- Plant Zero Art Studios | E, 3rd St between Decatur & Hull Street | Sunday, October 17th, 11 AM – 5 PM | $5 and up | Facebook Event
- Lakeside Farmers Market | 6106 Lakeside Ave | Friday, October 15th, 5-9 PM | $5 and up | Facebook Event
Weekend Radar: Folk Festival (duh), Glen Allen Day, Bug Bizarre, Drive-in Laser
I’ll be spending my entire weekend at the Folk Festival but here are some events I’m bummed to be missing and perhaps they’re right up your alley.
On the Radar
Richmond Folk Festival – The Richmond Folk Festival is one of Virginia’s largest events, drawing visitors from all over the country to downtown Richmond’s historic riverfront. The Festival is a FREE three-day event with musical acts across a wide range of genres. Read up on all of the fantastic artists who will perform. With styles ranging from jazz to gospel, Irish, rockabilly, salsa and more, there’s something for everyone to love or learn about. A few changes to the festival this year include no cash beer or merchandise sales and due to the highly interactive nature of the activities planned for the CarMax Family Area, we will not host a family area this year. Get all the information you need to plan your festival right here and be sure to throw some cash in the bucket.
- Brown’s Island and Tredegar | 7th and Tredegar | Friday, October 8 from 6:30-10:00 PM, Saturday, October 9 from 1:00-9:30 PM, Sunday, October 10 from 1:00-6:00 PM | Free | Website
Glen Allen Day – It starts with a 5k then a parade, vendor fair, food trucks, stage entertainment, and family activities. This is the 25th Annual Glen Allen Day with the theme “25 Years of Bringing Glen Allen Together.”
- Meadow Farm Museum at Crump Park | 3400 Mountain Rd Glen Allen | Saturday, October 9th, 9 AM – 3 PM | Free | Facebook Event
Under the Radar
Bug Bizarre – This event will feature live insect displays and children’s activities. Exhibits will show tobacco hornworms in all stages of life as well as parasitic wasps, several species of roaches, bess beetles, house spiders and other insects from the Kester Lab at Virginia Commonwealth University. Exhibits also will feature a honey-making beehive and a butterfly room, which will highlight butterflies and caterpillars. That’s not all Madagascar hissing cockroaches will be on display and will participate in races. I’m thinking of starting a betting operation on the races, look for the man in fez and red rose in his lapel. Password is “proboscis”.
- Deep Run Recreation Center | 9900 Ridgefield Pkwy, Henrico | Saturday, October 9 from 1-4 PM | Free | Facebook Event
Drive-in Laser Show -The most spectacular laser show you have ever seen and it’s set up just like a Drive-in movie only WAY WAY BETTER! Pile up in your Raddest Ride and come out for the fantastic Drive-in Cabin Fever Laser Show! Bonus you can tailgate.
- Richmond Raceway | 600 E Laburnum Ave | Fri – Sun, October 8-10th, 10 PM | $29.99 – $99.99 | Facebook Event
Weekend Radar: Kickers, 2nd Street, Fire, Oktoberfest
Fall is in the air and its festival and fair season but that’s not all that’s going on. Our picks for your weekend fun.
On the Radar
Kickers vs Chattanooga – Have you caught on yet that I want you to go to Kickers games? Well I really, really do. Nothing like a packed stadium watching one of the most popular sports in the world. Playoffs hang in the balance as the Kickers take on the USL1 League Leaders
- City Stadium | 3201 Maplewood Ave | Gates Open 5 PM – KO 6:30 PM, Saturday, Oct. 2nd | $9 – $18 | Tickets
2nd Street Festival – The 2nd Street Festival in Richmond returns in 2019 for its 31st anniversary, celebrating the rich culture of the historic Jackson Ward neighborhood. The 2nd Street Festival features four stages of live musical entertainment along with a Kidz Zone, popular food vendors, a marketplace and Artists Row to shop, the Richmond Metropolitan Antique Car Club, and walking tours given by Historic Jackson Ward Association.
- Jackson Ward | N. 2nd Street in the Jackson Ward | Saturday 11:30 AM – 7:00 PM., and Sunday 12:00 – 6:00 PM, Oct. 2-3rd | Free | Website
Off the Radar
Carnival of 5 Fires – Fire is pretty darn amazing. People (that have been trained, practiced and have safety measures in place) playing with fire is even more amazing. This is part of First Fridays in Historic Jackson Ward for a night of visual and performing art, live music, DJs, circus arts, bellydancing, tarot reading, vendors, and more!
- Gallery 5 | 200 West Marshall | Not sure what time things get lit but First Friday runs from 5-11 PM, Friday, Oct. 1st | Free | Event Page
Hardywood Oktoberfest – Grab your lederhosen and alpine hats, because it’s time to party! Hardywood is excited to kick off their 10th year anniversary month with their 3rd annual Oktoberfest. Enjoy a day filled with Oktoberfest fun, delicious food, and all of your favorite festive brews. A portion of the day’s proceeds will benefit Goochland Cares.
- Hardywood West Creek | 820 Sanctuary Trail Dr | 12-10 PM, Saturday, Oct. 2nd | Pay as you go | Event Page