Final Score: VCU: 2, Fordham: 3
Location: Richmond, Va. (Sports Backers Stadium)
Records: VCU 7-5-1 (1-4) Fordham 4-8-2 (3-2-0)
THE SHORT STORY
VCU clawed back from a 2-0 deficit at halftime to force overtime, but eventually fell to Fordham 3-2 at Sports Backers Stadium in Atlantic 10 play.
- Fordham took an early 1-0 lead, scoring in the 5th minute.
- Fordham extended its lead 2-0 in the 27th minute.
- Senior Susanna Friedrichs (Midlothian, Va.) got VCU on the board in the 62nd minute to cut Fordham’s lead 2-1.
- VCU leveled in the 72nd minute when it netted its second of the match.
- Fordham scored the game-winner in the 92nd minute to take the game 3-2.
- VCU outshot Fordham 17-11 on the day.
- Junior Samantha Jerabek (Chesterfield, Va.) led the VCU squad with five shots.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Fordham went on the attack early, scoring in the 5th minute with a rocket of a shot from the top of the box for a 1-0 lead.
- The match’s second goal came off a Fordham corner kick when the ball slid through the box to the far corner for a 2-0 lead.
- VCU found its rhythm offensively in the second half and finally scored in the 70th minute. The ball was loose in the box when Friedrichs charged in and put a no-doubter to the top of the net, cutting Fordham’s lead 2-1.
- The momentum stayed in VCU’s favor and the squad leveled just two minutes later. Senior Amanda Tredway (Downingtown, Pa.) combined with Friedrichs who played a dangerous pass just in front of goal that was deflected in by a Fordham defender to make the score 2-2.
- Ninety minutes wasn’t enough to decide the game, so the squad’s headed into overtime.
- Fordham launched an attack in the 92nd minute that led to a game-winning goal, making the final score 3-2.
HEAD COACH LINDSEY MARTIN
Head Coach Lindsey Martin on today’s match. pic.twitter.com/lApxcj8zaz
— VCU Women’s Soccer (@VCUWomensSoccer) October 6, 2019
VCU will be back at Sports Backers Stadium Sunday, Oct. 13th as it welcomes A-10 foe George Washington at 2 p.m.