Official VCU Recap:
Final Score: VCU: 0, LIU: 1
Location: Richmond, Va. (Sports Backers Stadium)
Records: VCU (1-1-0), LIU (2-0-0)
THE SHORT STORY
LIU defeated VCU 1-0 with a second-half goal after the Rams went down a man in the 31stminute of the contest.
- VCU played with 10 men from the 31stminute after a forward was shown a red card after a collision with the LIU keeper on a breakaway.
- LIU scored in the 57thminute on a corner kick.
- The Rams outshot the Sharks 15-6 and landed three of those shots on frame.
- Junior Oquin Robinson (Bull Bay, Jamaica) led the VCU squad with five shots.
- Junior Mario Sequeira (San Jose, Costa Rica) made three important saves.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- LIU blasted the first shot of the night in the 11thminute, but Sequeira made an easy save to keep things level.
- Redshirt junior Biska Biyombo (Lubumbashi, Democratic Republic of the Congo) was active in VCU’s attacking third, creating a good chance in the 31stminute but the keeper came off his line and intercepted the ball.
- Freshman Maverick McGann (Washington, D.C.) slipped behind the LIU defense in the 39thminute, but his shot was deflected before finding the net.
- The Sharks scored in the 57thminute when a corner kick deflected off a VCU defender to the feet of an LIU player who slotted the ball in the bottom right corner of the goal.
- VCU continued to press to the very end of the match. Redshirt Fiorre Mane (Dakar, Senegal) dribbled through a host of defenders in the 88thminute and nearly leveled, but the LIU keeper made his third save of the night.