Final Score:VCU: 2, UNCW: 1
Location:Richmond, Va. (Sports Backers Stadium)
Records:VCU (4-0-0), UNCW (3-1-0)
THE SHORT STORY
In a back-and-forth battle, VCU finally put the game away with an 86th minute goal to keep its undefeated season alive.
- Redshirt Senior Amanda Tredway (Downingtown, Pa.) opened the scoring in the 20th minute to put VCU ahead 1-0.
- UNCW leveled in the 78th minute.
- Junior Karen Lohrmann (Clifton, Va.) put the game away in the 86th minute to secure the 2-1 victory.
- The Rams outshot the Seahawks 18-7.
- VCU keeper redshirt sophomore Grace Young (Chesterfield, Va.) made two saves to preserve the clean sheet.
- Junior Samantha Jerabek (Chesterfield, Va.) led the squad with seven shots.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Jerabek was active early and often, rocketing multiple shots in the first 10 minutes of the contest.
- Tredway was in perfect position in the 20th minute to clean up a rebound from Jerabek’s shot to put VCU ahead 1-0.
- At halftime, VCU lead in almost every statistical category. The Rams had outshot the Seahawks 8-3 and had put four of those shots on frame.
- Jerabek continued to be a nightmare for the UNCW defense as she nearly netted one in the 52nd minute, but the UNCW keeper denied the shot with a diving save.
- Sophomore Idelys Vazquez (Virginia Beach, Va.) blasted a shot in the 74th minute that bounced off the far post right to the hands of the Seahawks’ keeper.
- The Seahawks manufactured a goal in the 78th minute, knocking in a rebound of their own to level the contest.
- Lohrmann finally found the winner in the 86th minute with a rocket from 20-yards out that she slotted into the bottom left corner.