Final Score:VCU 1, ETSU: 0
Location:Richmond, Va. (Sports Backers Stadium)
Records:VCU (1-0-0), ETSU (0-1-0)
THE SHORT STORY
A late first-half goal by freshman Maverick McGann (Washington, D.C.) in his collegiate debut lifted VCU to a 1-0 win over ETSU on opening night of the 2019 season.
- McGann’s strike in the 42ndminute proved to be the difference in the hard-fought victory.
- The Rams outshot the Buccaneers 14-9.
- Senior Ulrik Edvardsen (Bergen, Norway) led the team with three shots, landing two on frame.
- VCU took 11 corner kicks to ETSU’s four.
- Senior Keeper Mario Sequeira (San Jose, Costa Rica) was solid between the pipes, making two big saves in the second half.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Redshirt sophomore Fiorre Mane (Dakar, Senegal) created a promising chance in the 22ndminute when he dribbled through a host of defenders and earned a Rams corner kick.
- Around the 24thminute, VCU earned seven-consecutive corner kicks. Edvardsen got a head on two of them forcing a couple of big ETSU saves.
- Sophomore Martin Ngon (Goldvein, Va.) put a dangerous shot on frame in the 40thminute that was saved by the Bucs keeper.
- In the 42ndminute, McGann forced a turnover in VCU’s attacking third and dribbled past the back line before burying the shot in the bottom right corner of the net for a 1-0 lead.
- VCU came out of the break on the offensive foot. Senior Ryo Shimazaki (Kawasaki, Japan) launched a rocket in the 50thminute that was saved by a diving ETSU keeper.
- Redshirt junior Biska Biyombo (Lubumbashi, Democratic Republic of the Congo) had the best look of the night for the Rams with an 82nd minute shot that drilled off the cross bar.
- Sequeira made two key saves in the waning minutes of the match to keep ETSU off the board and secure the victory.
HEAD COACH DAVE GIFFARD
“It was a big three points tonight with so many guys out. I was very proud of the guys for being able to grind out the result. We may need to get some results like this for a few weeks, but if we are able to do so, I think there may be something special about this group.”
The Rams return to Sports Backers Stadium Monday, Sept. 2 for a Labor Day matchup with LIU. Kickoff is slated for 7 p.m.