Richmond Folk Festival and Spacebomb Records today announce the release of the first single from a special compilation album celebrating the 15th anniversary of the Richmond Folk Festival. The record, titled “All Together Now”: 15 Years of the Richmond Folk Festival Live, includes select tracks recorded live over the years since the National Folk Festival first came to Richmond in 2005.
The full compilation album will be released on October 11, 2019, the first day of the Richmond Folk Festival. It will be available for purchase in multiple formats, including digital download, CD, standard black vinyl and even an orange and green tie-dye pressed vinyl collector’s edition. All proceeds from sales of the album will go directly to support the Richmond Folk Festival.
“We were absolutely floored when Spacebomb reached out to us about producing the album,” said Venture Richmond Director of Events Stephen Lecky. “I have had the pleasure of working with them on various events like TEDxRVA and Fall Line Fest, but this is totally different than anything we have done before. It’s been a thrilling experience throughout, but it’s also an incredibly daunting task to curate a shortlist of the incredible performances recorded at the Richmond Folk Festival over the years. We’re so grateful to our partners at the National Council of the Traditional Arts for their thoughtful guidance on the track selection.”
The record is a specially curated compilation that reflects the diversity of musical traditions presented at Richmond Folk Festival, which embraces cultural expressions from across the nation and the world. NCTA Artistic Director Julia Olin undertook the task of searching through more than 1,300 hours of archived recordings to identify potential selections. “I must have been crazy,” Olin said. “There were so many magical live performances that I couldn’t resist pulling over eight hours of material – even though only a fraction of it could be included in this project. It was incredibly hard to choose; we wanted to share it all.”
Richmond Folk Festival fans can download the single and pre-order the record now online or retailers including Plan 9, Deep Groove, Steady Sounds, 6131, and Small Fiend Records & Books.
CDs and standard black vinyl will be available for sale on-site at the festival’s merchandise tent.
“Richmond’s musical footprint is growing nationally and internationally and the Richmond Folk Festival is an important part of the city’s musical story,” Spacebomb Records CEO Ben Baldwin said. “We’re proud to be working with the Richmond Folk Festival to release an important musical document covering the first 15 years of the festival’s history.”
Listen to the first track below:
Artists on the special compilation album include:
- Clinton Fearon and the Boogie Brown Band – Feel the Spirit
- Lulo Reinhardt and Daniel Stelter – Swing 2012
- Maggie Ingram & The Ingramettes – Family Prayer
- Lunasa – Ryestraw (medley): The New Day March/Reystraw/An Old Woman Would
- Nathalie Pires – Loucura (Madness)
- The Holmes Brothers – Baby What You Want Me To Do
- Peter Rowan Bluegrass Band – Don’t Ask Me Why
- The Quebe Sisters – Speed the Plow Medley: Speed the Plow/The Maid Behind the Bar/Temerance Reel
- Altai Kai – My Native Land, Altai
- Mariachi Los Camperos de Nati Cano – México lindo/¡Viva México!
- Sona Jobarteh – Mamamuso
- Dale Watson and His Lonestars – Real Country Song/A Nashville Rash
- Rare Essence – Overnight Scenario
- BeauSoleil Trio – Le Sud de la Louisiane
- Sammy Shelor and Kirk Sutphin – Angeline the Baker
- Spanish Harlem Orchestra – Son de Corazón