The Arthur Ashe Boulevard Initiative will sponsor a three-day celebration honoring tennis great Arthur Ashe. Citizens, leaders, community organizers, and Ashe family members will commemorate the naming of Arthur Ashe Boulevard in Richmond on June 20th through 22nd.
In addition to an official sign unveiling to re-name the roughly 2.5-mile Boulevard in honor of the late tennis champion, the celebratory events will re-introduce Ashe’s inspiring life story to Richmond and offer a variety of family-friendly events.
The official dedication and street unveiling ceremony, sponsored by the City of Richmond, Dominion Energy, and the Virginia Museum of History & Culture (VMHC), will be held at Saturday, June 22, at 11 a.m. at the VMHC.
National, state and local elected leaders will be in attendance and participate in the dedication ceremony, along with Ashe family representatives. Civil rights leader and U.S. Rep. John R. Lewis, (D-Ga.) will deliver the keynote address.
“We’re thrilled to name Dominion Energy as our presenting sponsor for our weekend celebration, as we officially rename the Boulevard after my uncle, said David Harris, nephew of the late Arthur Ashe and a key driver in the Boulevard’s renaming. “Together, we’ll celebrate Ashe’s achievements both on and off the tennis court. My uncle’s incredible legacy transcended sports and is tied to foundational roots of Richmond. With Dominion Energy’s support and others, we’re putting a stake in the ground for Arthur Ashe’s legacy of social justice for generations to come.”
“This is a great step forward for Richmond to honor Arthur Ashe in a bold way,” said Tom Farrell, chairman and CEO of Dominion Energy. “We’re proud to be part of it, and to celebrate our hometown with friends, neighbors, and the Ashe family.”
The company’s sponsorship is being provided through the Dominion Energy Charitable Foundation.
The latest schedule of community events—all of which are free, family-friendly and open to the public include:
- Arthur Ashe Boulevard Social Justice Forum, Thursday, June 20, 7-9 p.m., Virginia Museum of Fine Arts. Learn about social justice and find out how it was part of Arthur Ashe’s legacy.
- Arthur Ashe Boulevard Tennis Tournament & Movies at the Park, Friday, June 21, 6-9 p.m., Byrd Park. Join local tennis organizations in celebration of Ashe’s sport; stick around for an evening of movies and other festivities.
- Arthur Ashe Boulevard Kick-off Celebration & Bowling Party, Friday, June 21, 7 p.m. to midnight, River City Roll. Enjoy kids and family bowling night (7-9 p.m.) as well as live music (9 p.m. to midnight) at this Scott’s Addition bowling alley along Arthur Ashe Boulevard. Donations suggested.
- Arthur Ashe Boulevard Unveiling Ceremony & Exhibition Opening, Saturday, June 22, 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., Virginia Museum of History and Culture. Join us as we make history with the City of Richmond; A-list celebrities, city officials, and government dignitaries will officially unveil the re-named Boulevard.
- Arthur Ashe Boulevard Community Celebration, Saturday, June 22, 1-5 p.m., Arthur Ashe Jr. Athletic Center. Celebrate with the community and participate in sponsored tennis clinics for kids and adults.
- Arthur Ashe Boulevard After Party, Saturday, June 22, 8-11 p.m., The Graduate Richmond: the official Arthur Ashe Boulevard Celebration host. Cap off three days of excitement around Arthur Ashe and the City of Richmond.
To learn more about Arthur Ashe Boulevard or the schedule of events, visit arthurasheblvd.com.