515 North Seventh Street
Demolished, unknown, probably early 1970s
Architect, Henry Exall (?)
In 1849 Conway Robinson built a mansion in the yard of the Vaucoulon-McCaw house, where he was then living.
A distinguished lawyer, writer on legal subjects and president of the R. F. and P. Railroad, Robinson was a son of that John Robinson who built the “octagon house” at Sixth and Franklin where Conway no doubt was born, in 1805.
In the ’seventies the Conway Robinson house, 515 North Seventh, was the home of General T. M. Logan. From 1883 to 1914 it served as the Presbyterian and Methodist Old Ladies’ Home, and since then has been the headquarters of the Phyllis Wheatley (Negro) Branch of the Y.W.C.A.
The house, probably designed by Henry Exall, has been considerably altered by a mansard roof. The most striking feature of the interior is the spiral stair, which runs up to the third floor, and for this reason as well as its rather unattractive newel-post and trim may be contemporary with the mansard rather than with the original construction.
At present the stucco of the exterior is painted a staring white that contrasts disagreeably with the bright green woodwork. [ORN]
There is no date for the demolition of the house, but odds are that it happened in the 1970s with the construction of the Coliseum.
(Conway Robinson House is part of the Atlas RVA! Project)
- [ORN] Old Richmond Neighborhoods. Mary Wingfield Scott.
RVA Legends is a regular series
appearing on rocket werks – check it out!