NE corner, Sixth & Leigh Streets
Built, before 1796
A long block separated Clay from the street north of it to which in 1844 the name of Benjamin Watkins Leigh was given.
At that time a deep ravine lay between Clay and Leigh streets as far west as Sixth, the stream in this gulley flowing east into Shockoe Creek.
Being more remote from the centre of the city, Leigh Street saw fewer of its early buildings replaced by rows, and retained more of them until relatively recent times, though most of them have now been replaced by storage-garages.
The earliest house that we can find a photograph of was a frame cottage that stood at the northeast corner of Sixth. Built at an undetermined date before 1792, it was, like the Copland house at Eleventh and Broad, evidently a composite, the oldest part being the cottage on the corner, to which two wings had been added in the rear. The earliest occupant known to us was Col. John Steele, who migrated to Mississippi in 1804 or earlier. At that time the house was purchased by Anderson Barret, a builder, who spent his last years in a house on the west side of Sixth, north of Leigh. As a youth he had worked on the Capitol, in 1816 he built the Archer Anderson house, and in his old age he supervised the construction of his cousin William Barret’s mansion at Fifth and Cary. He died in 1857, aged eighty-four.
His son-in-law, Logan Waller, lived in the house at Sixth and Leigh from 1832 through the ’sixties, and here in 1832 was born Linden Waller, who at the request of Mr. E. V. Valentine wrote a lively memoir of his recollections of Richmond covering two-thirds of the nineteenth century.
Mr. Waller says that when the old house was pulled down, a tablet was found in the chimney giving the date as June 25, 1740. This would be difficult to verify, but if the original cottage was really as old as that, it was no doubt part of the farm-buildings of a place then fairly remote from the newly founded village of Richmond. [ORN]
(Waller House is part of the Atlas RVA Project)
RVA Legends is a regular series
appearing on rocket werks – check it out!
Businesses Unite to Bring Change to Monument Avenue
“We believe inclusion is integral to the strength of our organizations, and that symbols antithetical to equality, equity, and unity harm our employees and community.”
The Monument Commitment is a pledge by Richmond employers to work for change not only along Monument Avenue but in the community.
RVAHub is proud to stand with the businesses below.
If you would like to learn how to add your organization to this commitment email: [email protected]
The pledge reads:
Governor Northam, Mayor Stoney, City Council Members:
We are employers of the Richmond community.
We believe inclusion is integral to the strength of our organizations, and that symbols antithetical to equality, equity, and unity harm our employees and community.
We ask that you commit to support the respectful removal of all the confederate monuments on Monument Avenue in coming months, and do not repair – other than for public safety – the monuments as they currently stand.
For our part, we commit to confronting racism in our organizations and supporting you in eradicating systemic racism in our community.
It is time to take them all down.
Please note we created this post on Friday morning and since businesses are being added constantly some businesses might not be on the list above. This is not a statement against those businesses just an inability to keep up. This link will give you the most current list of those that have made the commitment.
Wayback RVA — Old Pythian Hall and Mechanics Savings Bank
A Then & Now photo essay of Richmond places from around the area.
The Old Pythian Hall and Mechanics
Savings Bank, Mr. Jno. Mitchell Jr., Pres.
- Souvenir Views Negro Enterprises and Residences, Richmond, Va. D. A. Ferguson & Co. 1907.
- Richmond Planet masthead.
- Logo, Order of the Knights of Pythias.
- Sanborn Fire Insurance Map from Richmond (1905) — Plate 3.
- [RTD] John Mitchell Jr. Richmond Times-Dispatch. Michael Paul Williams February 21, 1996.
- 311 North Fourth Street.
John Mitchell Jr. was aptly described as “a man who would walk into the jaws of death to serve his race.” Mitchell – newspaper editor, entrepreneur, city councilman and candidate for governor – was one of the most respected black leaders of his day. [RTD]
A fascinating individual. The Shockoe Examiner has an interesting post from 2012 about Mitchell’s grave in Evergreen Cemetery. Alas for the old bank building, it’s former location now rests under the Richmond Convention Center.
(Old Pythian Hall and Mechanics Savings Bank is part of the Atlas RVA! Project)
Black Bear’s Visit to Richmond Comes to a Safe End
No picnic baskets, bears, dogs, cats, or humans were harmed in today’s adventure.
A black bear decided to explore Richmond today. First spotted on the Northbank Trail he later headed into town. Previous reports earlier in the week had the bear up near Pony Pasture. The picture above is from RACC Instagram which reported on the sedation and transportation of the bear.
We just received a call about a bear-and it really was a bear. Sometimes we laugh and arrive on scene with a giant Rottweiler, but nope-this was a real bear. We named him Fuzzy Wuzzy. Shout out to @richmondpolice for helping keep us safe and to @virginiawildlife for tranquilizing and relocating the bear out of the City!
Here he is in town.