Ridesharing has already changed the way Americans depend on owning a car and how we get around cities, but now one ridesharing company is taking an even bolder step toward creating a new future of mobility.
Today, Lyft announced the Ditch Your Car program, an initiative that will give a limited number of local vehicle owners $360 worth of transportation credit to give up their cars for 30 days beginning October 8th in favor of getting around town via Lyft rides and by offering transit credits in the form of a monthly GRTC pass.
Starting September 26th, Richmond residents will be able to register online for the opportunity to be selected for the program and receive credit towards Lyft and the GRTC.
“The way that people move around cities is changing faster than ever, and we are excited to challenge Richmond residents to change their everyday habits and give up their car for a month,” said Cabell Rosanelli, Market Manager for Lyft Richmond. “Lyft alone is not the overall solution to overcome transportation hurdles, but by utilizing other transportation options we are able to create a full menu of mobility options for Richmond residents.”
Here’s how it works:
- You can sign up here–fifty people will be randomly selected to participate
- Those chosen at random to participate will receive an email with the details of the program including transportation credits
- Transportation credits include Lyft and GRTC monthly bus credit to get around the city for one month:
- $300 of Lyft ride credits
- GRTC Monthly Unlimited Pass ($60 value, valid on local routes, including the GRTC Pulse)
- The challenge starts on October 8th and ends on November 6th
“Since day one, we’ve believed cities should be built around people, not cars or parking lots,” Rosanelli continued. “Using a mix of multimodal options, it’s possible to rework cities and ditch personal cars. Lyft is committed to being a part of the solution to reduce congestion, carbon footprint and the pain points of personal car ownership in Richmond.”