Fourteenth & Canal Streets
No, it’s not a typo.
The building was near Cary Street, but not actually on it, but rather a short block behind it, about where Canal is now. Today, it’s the location of a different Southern Railway station.
According to the driving tour by the Old Dominion Chapter of the National Railway Historical Society, it’s a Southern Railway freight depot built in 1915. But… there was already a station present? The history is a bit confusing.
An earlier Southern station, built in 1900, stood at 14th and Mill Streets in Richmond on the north side of the James River. The Mill Street Station was demolished and a new station was built in South Richmond at Hull & 1st Streets in 1915. (Richmond Railroad Museum)
Mill Street? Where’s that? Is that Davenport Lane from the Sanborn map? Is that this alley, directly across from the current Southern Railway building?
And there’s still a question why Southern Rail would demolish one depot, build a new one across the river, and then re-establish a new, smaller depot at the original location – all within the space of a year or so.
(Southern Railway Depot is part of the Atlas RVA Project)
RVA Legends is a regular series
appearing on rocket werks – check it out!