The Library of Virginia is encouraging folks to cast their votes in the 15th Annual People’s Choice Awards for Virginia authors and books. Finalists in fiction and nonfiction were selected by Virginia librarians and independent booksellers, and awards are given for the best books by Virginia authors published in the past year. For nonfiction, books on a Virginia subject are also eligible.
The winners will be chosen by votes from the public from among five finalists in each category. Readers can vote online at the Library of Virginia’s website from now through July 15th.
- This year’s fiction finalists for the People’s Choice Awards are:
- Love Big, Be Well: Letters to a Small-Town Church
- Say Nothing
- The War Bride’s Scrapbook: A Novel in Pictures Best Intentions
- If the Creek Don’t Rise
This year’s nonfiction finalists for the People’s Choice Awards are:
- An American Family: A Memoir of Hope and Sacrifice
- Patrick Henry: Champion of Liberty
- Code Girls: The Untold Story of the American Women Code Breakers of World War II
- The Dooleys of Richmond: An Irish Immigrant Family in the Old and New South
- Never Caught: The Washingtons’ Relentless Pursuit of Their Runaway Slave, Ona Judge
The winners will be recognized on Saturday, October 20, 2018, at the 21st Annual Library of Virginia Literary Awards Celebration presented by Dominion Energy. Each winner will receive an engraved crystal book and a monetary prize of $2,500.
Will you help support independent, local journalism?
We need your help. RVAHub is a small, independent publication, and we depend on our readers to help us provide a vital community service. If you enjoy our content, would you consider a donation as small as $5? We would be immensely grateful! Interested in advertising your business, organization, or event? Get the details here.