RVA Legends — Meyer Saloon

RVA Legends — Meyer Saloon

A look into the history of Richmond places and people that have disappeared from our landscape.

[ORN]

533 Brook Avenue
Built, 1860
Demolished, unknown

That’s right, Skippy – Brook Avenue. Street names have been changed to protect the innocent.

(Valentine Museum) — Northeast Brook Avenue & Duval Street, February 1953

Let those who want to visualize Richmond streets of the early 1800’s thread their way through Brook Avenue, which runs at a tangent north from Broad at its intersection with Adams, descends to Bacon Quarter Branch, and climbs the hill on the far side until it merges with a straight modern double road down which the Ashland carline formerly ran.

According to Mordecai, Brook Avenue was the oldest turnpike road leading into the city. The tobacco wagons followed it, turned east on Broad and then rumbled down the steep hill that is now Governor Street to the inspection warehouses. As late as 1845 it could still be called “the principal point of access to the city.” [ORN]

(Civil War Richmond) RVA in 1865, before Chamberlayne Avenue

There is no national (or international) standard on what constitutes a street versus a road, or an avenue, or boulevard, but generally, a road is a route between two endpoints that has been made passable to permit travel. Might be paved, might not. An avenue indicates a main thoroughfare within a city – wider and straighter.

(Ridefinders)

Somewhere in the creation of Chamberlayne to pull Route 1 directly into the city, it became the avenue. Brook, refactored with the construction of the Richmond-Petersburg Turnpike, became just a road.

December 2014

The most extraordinary building of any date on Brook was built in 1860 by George Meyer, who operated a saloon there as late as 1885. The corner of Brook Avenue and Leigh forms an acute angle, to which the flat-iron shaped house is fitted. Though some of the wooden porches and excrescences must have been added, they make today a bizarre ensemble. [ORN]

Look at the architecture of Brook Road today and it appears it was originally much wider. Orient yourself at the Northeast corner of Monroe Street and Brook Avenue, assume a wider lane, and you get a view much like that in Mary Wingfield Scott’s undated photo at top. The white house from the 2014 image is strikingly similar to Mary Wingfield Scott’s historic photo of the same location, with an identical cornice.

(Richmond Transfer Company is part of the Atlas RVA Project)


rocket_werks

RVA Legends is a regular series
appearing on rocket werks – check it out!

Comments

comments

About Rocket Werks 179 Articles
Combining protean forces from the forbidden Zero Serum with the unbridled power of atomic fusion, to better probe the Wisdom of the Ancients and their Forgotten Culture.
Contact: Website