Planning and Development Review (PDR) is holding a public meeting with Councilwoman Ellen Robertson about the proposed rezoning of Hull Street between Cowardin Avenue and E. 9th Street.
PDR held a public meeting about the proposal on August 31st and received mostly positive feedback, which would involve rezoning the area from UB-2 to B-5 to allow for two additional stories of height for new construction and require less parking for uses such as multifamily and restaurants. They believe that by removing such barriers to development, will help encourage the continued revitalization of the historic commercial corridor.
PDR gave an informational presentation to the City Planning Commission on October 16th, at which point Councilwoman Robertson asked that an additional public meeting be held to make sure the businesses and property owners were in full support of the proposal.
The meeting is tonight, November 14th at 6 p.m. at Mid-Atlantic Properties (1417 ½ Hull Street).
Critters of the Week
A wild critter we spotted in the RVA area and a critter up for adoption by SPCA or RACC.
Where Spotted: Westover Hills
Common Name: Eastern Towhee
Scientific Name: Pipilo erythrophthalmus
Length: 6.8-8.2 in (17.3-20.8 cm)
Weight: 1.1-1.8 oz (32-52 g)
Wingspan: 7.9-11.0 in (20-28 cm)
Quick Facts (Courtesy Cornell Lab)
- Eastern Towhees are birds of the undergrowth, where their rummaging makes far more noise than you would expect for their size.
- The Eastern Towhee and the very similar Spotted Towhee of western North America used to be considered the same species, the Rufous-sided Towhee. The two forms still occur together in the Great Plains, where they sometimes interbreed.
- Eastern Towhees are common victims of the parasitic Brown-headed Cowbird. Female cowbirds lay eggs in towhee nests, then leave the birds to raise their cowbird young. In some areas cowbirds lay eggs in more than half of all towhee nests. Towhees, unlike some other birds, show no ability to recognize or remove the imposter’s eggs.
- Eastern Towhees tend to be pretty solitary, and they use a number of threat displays to tell other towhees they’re not welcome. You may see contentious males lift, spread, or droop one or both wings, fan their tails, or flick their tails to show off the white spots at the corners. Studies have shown that male towhees tend to defend territories many times larger than needed simply to provide food.
- The oldest known Eastern Towhee was a male in South Carolina, and at least 12 years, 3 months old.
Blueberry at Richmond SPCA
Have you been on the search for a cat that has many layers of personality? Has a swagger in his step? Is handsome, affectionate and always seeks the spotlight? Yep, this is me benevolent Blueberry! Almost anything I do is with exuberance. Why, I may just inspire you to be an artist; I can drape myself on the sofa and you can begin to paint your masterpiece – me! And lastly, I have one tiny favor that I need to ask is that you please do not get me confused with a chicken, because I love to chirp! Now that you have read about me all you need to do is rush here to the Richmond SPCA!
Age: 4 years, 1 month
Gender: Neutered Male
To reduce visitor traffic, during the COVID-19 outbreak they are scheduling adoption appointments beginning Tuesday, March 17, 2020. Please leave your phone number in a voicemail or email and an adoption counselor will call to set an appointment for you to meet with a pet. Email the adoption center or call 804-521-1307.
H&M at Stony Point Fashion Park Closing
No word on the fate of H&M’s other locations in the area at Short Pump Town Center, Chesterfield Towne Center and Southpark Mall.
Yet another major tenant is departing Stony Point Fashion Park. The latest to wish the mall farewell is H&M. The store has been closed since March due to Covid-19.
“Looking at our store portfolio and the location of our stores to adapt to changing customer behavior is something that has been part of our business concept for well over 70 years,” the company said in a statement as a reason for permanently closing that location.
I’m guessing that changing customer behavior was fewer customers spending money in that location. The store opened in Stony Point Fashion Park in 2017.
Earlier this spring it was announced that the mall’s owner Starwood Retail Partners had defaulted on a loan and failed to turn things around after being granted an extension. Midland Loan Services now controls the mall.