Henrico Police are warning area residents after thieves have been targeting vehicles parked at some of the county’s recreational facilities and parks, fitness facilities, and even the trail-head of the Virginia Capital Trail.
The string of incidents have concerned items left in plain view including purses and wallets, laptops and tablets, firearms, and cash, which are being stolen within seconds after suspects smash vehicle windows and grab the items. The thieves are also targeting documents containing personal identification, which can be used to commit identity theft.
Police offer the following common-sense tips to avoid becoming a victim:
- Be alert for suspicious person(s) or vehicle(s) around you as you park your vehicle
- Always place all valuable items and personal identity documents out of sight of common observation
- Do not leave a spare key(s) in an easily accessible location within the vehicle’s interior or exterior
- Always lock your unattended vehicle
- Be alert when returning to your vehicle for anything suspicious; i.e., persons, vehicles, broken window(s), vehicle door(s) open, etc.
- If you see something, say something – call police right away
If you have information or questions concerning a past incident, call the Henrico Police non-emergency number at 804.501.5000.