It’s that time of year again. The Richmond population will be expanding starting on Friday as VCU return to school. Prepare for crowds and a few street closures.
From VCU Police Department:
WEEKEND TRAFFIC / MONROE PARK CAMPUS: VCU freshmen will move into their residence halls from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. on Friday and from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Saturday. Traffic congestion is expected in the areas near VCU’s student residence halls Friday evening and Saturday and there will be very limited street parking available.
In order to ensure safety and order as students move into residence halls, the following streets will have travel restrictions or will be closed:
- Franklin Street: The street will be closed to through traffic between Harrison and Belvidere streets; traffic arriving for move-in will be reduced to one travel lane between Harrison and Belvidere streets.
- Grace Street: Travel lanes will remain open, however, drivers may experience some congestion between Ryland and Belvidere streets.
- Cary Street: Travel lanes will remain open, but drivers may experience some congestion between Cherry and Jefferson streets.
- Marshall Street: Travel lanes will remain open, but drivers may experience some congestion between Bowe and Hancock streets.
- Laurel Street: The street will be closed between West Grace and West Cathedral streets. Parishioners of the Cathedral of the Sacred Heart will be allowed to park in designated spots on Cathedral Street and in the West Main Street Parking Deck. Drivers may experience some congestion between Cathedral and Cary streets.
- Pine Street: The street continues to be closed between West Cary and West Main streets for construction through 2018.
Traffic restrictions and closures will be in effect on Saturday from 5 a.m. to 8 p.m. VCU Police will handle traffic control as students move in. In addition, Laurel Street will be closed between Franklin and Grace streets on Friday from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m.